36%
15%
380+
12%

Total votes: 74

grenda
Fawn
Fawn

Re: What do you consider a 'trophy' bull?

Post by grenda » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:32 pm

My first(and only elk) was a 6x6 bull that scrored 236". We hunted hard in SE Idaho on a covetted tag I drew. Saw lots of elk and got close to a 330" but never got him. I shot this elk at 496 yards with one shot after glassing him and dropped him in his tracks. After a long ten days of glassing and hunting this bull was a great trophy for me. It's what you get out of the hunt, not the size of the bull.
-Big Buck Down!-

bowtechjwar
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bowtechjwar » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:16 pm

I AM FROM NEW MEXICO I HAVE TAKEN BULLS FROM A SPIKE TO A NICE HEAVY 7X6. THEY ARE ALL TROPHY BULLS TO ME.

needs_recoil
Fawn
Fawn

Post by needs_recoil » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:41 pm

Every bull I have ever killed has been a trophy to me. Spike raghorn or branch antler - I got my bull off the mountain and it is a trophy. That being said, my uncle killed a 385 and change bull in nevada in 93. Weve had a standing bet since I started elk hunting. Every year I get to elk hunt I lose a bottle of Seagrams 7 because I havent killed a bull bigger than his. One day I am gonna get to make a phone call and say its your turn to buy the whiskey.

halibutaddict
Spike
Spike

Post by halibutaddict » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:04 am

Any bull killed with a bow,limited tag area...330+,general area,anything 5X5 or larger.

KYLLYR
Spike
Spike

Post by KYLLYR » Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:54 pm

I think this is a very interesting question. Hunting in Colorado all of my life (only ever hunted Colo), and always hunting OTC units, I think taking a 300+ bull is definitely a trophy with a rifle or a bow. I have taken many elk, everything from a spike to a great bull with both rifle and bow, all of them being trophies to me. Like others have said, the trophy is in the eye of the hunter.

As far as judging them in the field, I do pretty well. As far as the bull you want to harvest you know when he walks out whether or not you want to put him on the wall. "He will take your breath away". :thumb

maintguy47
3 point
3 point

Post by maintguy47 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:33 pm

Any bull I take with my bow.

speedgoat
Spike
Spike

Post by speedgoat » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:02 am

You guys are unbeliveable. the best comment I ever heard about the size of a bull was...

Client: "Is that a trophy bull?"
Guide: "You ever shot an elk?"
Client: "No"
Guide: "Yep, that's a trophy"

I have a 273 6x6 shoulder mounted on the wall. I enjoy it every day and never say, boy wish he was bigger.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:26 am

Next month will be my first time hunting a bull elk. I will consider any downed 6x6 a trophy. That said, one can always dream of the 350+ bull. The unit has potential for it, not so sure that my skill set does. I'm hoping for a little luck to have a great bull bugle and give up his location. Then move in on him and seal the deal. I expect to have a lot of fun trying. As I said before it'll be my first so no matter what happens it'll be a trophy.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

Sniper1
Spike
Spike

Post by Sniper1 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:40 am

I think alot of people get caught up in score. In all reality a 330 bull up close and personal is one heck of a creature. I myself have never killed a bull. Been on many hunts helping others kill bulls but i have never been lucky enough to kill one. When it is my turn to any bull that makes the hair on my neck stand and makes me shake like a dog @$*%in razor blades will be a trophy to me.
Aim Small Miss Small

needs_recoil
Fawn
Fawn

Post by needs_recoil » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:50 pm

Not enuf tags good luck on your hunt. Sniper if youre like me the first bull you take aim at will make your hair stand up and give you a case of the shakes you wont forget. First shot hit him a little far back in the ribs and second hit him high shoulder on my first bull. When I got to my bull I had the shakes so bad I almost lost fingers gutting him. And he was just a 3x6 raghorn. Had to actually put the knife down sit down and drink a bottle of water to calm myself down. You know I think all of the bulls and cows I have killed since then have caused the same reaction. I think if I ever lose that excitement I will have to quit huntin.