gutless skinning?

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
capt.nw
Spike
Spike

Re: gutless skinning?

Post by capt.nw » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:29 pm

If you leave them on ice with a beer I'll go get them. lol good luck on your hunt send pic and let us know how the gutless thing works out.
Capt.
Same Monkey Different Tail....

bc.pse
2 point
2 point

Post by bc.pse » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:26 pm

Go up the spine then peel it down the sides. And then we just carve the meat right off the bone and throw it in a meat bag and start packin down. Just what we do. Hope this helps :thumb
"I'm a Backwoods Boy! I grew up on a Dirt Road!"-Josh Turner

grenda
Fawn
Fawn

Post by grenda » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:43 pm

I do this on backcounty deer hunting...Great tips and video guys.. Especially like the tenderloin part.
-Big Buck Down!-

buckykm1
2 point
2 point

Post by buckykm1 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:36 am

The gutless method is easy, i did it on my bull last year, i didn't have any help, i was hunting alone, in 2 hours i had it caped, skinned and all the meat bagged and on my way out with him.

Kevin

bigbuck92
Monster
Monster

Post by bigbuck92 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:34 pm

If you do this method it wont ruin the cape will it if you want to mount it? Does anybody have any videos or links on how to cape out a elk to?
Cody
Old hunters NEVER die,they just have better camo.

speedgoat
Spike
Spike

Post by speedgoat » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:20 am

Used the gutless method on an elk last year and we will never do it any other way again. It is so much cleaner, less smelly, faster and with 2 people it is really cool. We went through the hunting area a few weeks ago, all that was left of the carcass was the head and spine, every other sliver had been eaten, hair, skin, everything.

needs_recoil
Fawn
Fawn

Post by needs_recoil » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:25 pm

+1 to speedgoat. The first time I saw the gutless method used was a few years ago on an Oregon elk hunt. My brother shot a bull and me and my buddy met up with him within a few minutes as he was rolling it over to gut it. My buddy says you guys have got to try it this way and just starts taking the bull apart. The cool part was when he got the tenderloins out. Completely quartered and caped bull and only bloody to the wrists. I havent gutted an animal in three years now. Even if its easy to get em to the truck whole I still go with the gutless method.