My 2011 Breaks Elk Hunt

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
waynedevore

My 2011 Breaks Elk Hunt

Post by waynedevore » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:38 am

First of all, sorry this is late. I've had a very busy time since the last hunting trip.

Scouted things out in Sept, had it all planed out for the opener. About 80 head of elk using this area. Elk then were in rut and there was at least 4 BC bulls running the herd.

Opening of the rifle season I was in "THE" spot well before daylight. Just a few minutes after shooting light the whole herd came right where I had hoped they would. Others knew about the herd #-o so they were on the run. A least a dozen shots a few minutes earlier. Cows calves and smallish bulls. 1 or 2 average 6 pt. Easy shot, easy pack to the truck right? Well (???) I have trouble killing elk or deer so early in the season, I enjoy the hunt to much. I passed on the 6pt.

This herd from there went onto private property and stayed there. According to a C.O. 2 book bulls had been killed.

I like hiking and exploring the badlands. Day 2 I did 10 miles. Had a opportunity at a good Muley [for the breaks country] probably about a 25 inch. GPS says 4 miles to the truck, not ready to fill the deer license yet.

Day 3 off in a different direction. A couple miles out in some rough stuff spotted a herd of elk. Made a stalk from down wind to get within a couple hundred yards. Elk grazing on the pine and grass hillside. 20 some cows calves and spikes. Later in the day on my way back to the truck a lone raghorn came running over a hill about 50 yards right at me, that was fun. Was a good day to be hunting, lots of excitement, perfect weather. Tired out as can be, no trouble sleeping.

I have one of those pop up type pickup toppers, works well for me. I can get into the back country, pop it up and be quite comfortable. Stand up cook, and a gas furnace keeps it as warm as I like. The part that's above the cab is roomy, plenty of room to stretch out, my bed. The pups have the lower bed.

Day 4 hunted elk in the morning, no luck. Then went to town for supplies and phone service. Needed to check in with the Wife and there ain't phone service in the breaks. Took the pups bird hunting the rest of the day getting a limit of pheasants and a couple Sharptails.

Day 5 went back to the day 1 area, figuring still might be a couple loner bulls hanging around. This is a large chunk of ground. No way would all the elk have been chased out right? Well, I hunted hard, tons of sign where a lot of critters have spent a lot of time. Sign of course was a few days old. Did see a half dozen Mulies. WOW! are the Mule Deer # ever down the breaks country. On a day like this a couple years ago I would have seen at least 25 deer.

Day 6 and 7, hard hunting, not much happening.

Day 8, figured I would have to get into the real nasty stuff to find elk. I knew by now there were plenty of elk, you could spot them every day but, off on private property. Guided hunt only type thing.
I got myself in some of the roughest country in the Missouri Breaks. Sure enough I spot a big guy, alone bedded on a shelf. Good wide and heavy 6 point. Hard place to get at, I worked to about 300 yards. I don't have trouble with a 3 hundred yard shot. But how the heck do I get him out? Several deep draws between me and the Pickup about 3 miles off. Very steep, cliffs, you really had to choose the right places to get up and over, that's without a heavy pack. Talked myself out of it.

Anyway, MT has a long season, I would be back at it the week before Thanksgiving.
Few days before the trip I tore up my knee, fell, ran a piece of steel into my knee cap. Couldn't drive so that was that. Oh Well was a great adventure.

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Re: My 2011 Breaks Elk Hunt

Post by one hunting fool » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:48 am

Great story thanks for shareing. Sorry about the run of bad luck there at the end. I would not have taken that shot either on the 300 yd for the same reason. I could make the shot but you would have to eat him to get him out of there. Sounds like a ton of fun though.
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:33 pm

Sorry to hear about the knee. that doesn't sound like much fun at all.

On the other hand it sounds like it was a great hunt none the less. Time in the outdoors chasing the animals of your choice from day to day sounds like heck of a way to spend your abroad.

Hope that the knee is mending up good and strong so that we can continue to enjoy your future hunts.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

MTSHEDHEDZ
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MTSHEDHEDZ » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:00 pm

You talked yourself out of shooting a monster bull because the pack out was difficult???Thats why its called ELK hunting!! lol

treedagain
2 point
2 point

Post by treedagain » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:35 pm

+1 MTSHEDHEDZ, to each their own i guess

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:58 pm

great to hear an update on your hunt- i've been checking in on it.

sounds like a great hunt and as far as letting a monster go with concerns about being able to get him out? i think it was a great call- one only a few hunters could make.

do i think i could have got him outta there? i don't know, i wasn't there.

so would it have made it a better story to read that you shot a GIANT bull, but couldn't get him out and the meat spoiled? no--

if it's called "elk hunting" just so you go and ignorantly shoot everything that moves just to kill it- i guess i got alot of learning to do.

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Thanx for the reply's you guys. :thumb With this opportunity I wanted Horns.
And for sure my brother and I have packed out critters from some hard to get out of "Hello" holes.
Anyway I thought I would be back.
20-30 years ago we shoot, figure it out later. If I knew then that would be my chance I would have done it. (???)
At 62 I like the hunt much more then the packing.
The 6 pt at day 1 would have been the logical choice. Oh Well. :thumb

derekp1999
4 point
4 point

Post by derekp1999 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:47 pm

Great recap Wayne, too bad about the knee.
That sounds like a great ELK HUNT, regardless of whether a tag was notched or not.
“The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business indeed.”
-Albus Dumbledore