2010 Elk Hunt - Planning Stage

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
Underdog
Fawn
Fawn

2010 Elk Hunt - Planning Stage

Post by Underdog » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:14 pm

I am new to the board so first let me say hello and thanks for the access to a great resource of information.

I have taken part in six public land hunts in GMU 36 with no success. These were with experienced hunters that had been for multiple years. I haven't been in about 5 years due to life (marriage, work, and graduate school)and I am planning to make the trek again in 2010.

I for sure want to visit different GMU. I want to pack into one of the Wilderness Areas for this hunt and I have narrowed it down to three areas that have OTC tags for 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons. This GMU that I am considering are 54, 77, 751, and 24. That gives me access to West Elk, Flat Tops, and Weminuche Wilderness areas.

Just to give a little in site as to what I am expecting from this hunt. I am not after a trophy and will more than likely try and draw a cow/either sex tag for the season that we are going in. I just enjoy western hunting and that is all I am after here.

If anyone can provide me with any feedback regarding these areas it would be greatly appreciated. I am not looking for anyone's secret honey hole or anything like that. I just want to make an informed decision and try to have a successful hunt with 2 friends.

killerbee

Re: 2010 Elk Hunt - Planning Stage

Post by killerbee » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:17 pm

i cant help you but ::wel to the forum!
i'm assuming colorado? theres a lot of guys on board here that might be able to help you out. sometimes it just takes a day or so for the right person to see the post. but after your hunt dont forget to come back, post pics, and let us see how it went :thumb

Underdog
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Underdog » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:00 pm

Yes you are correct it is Colorado that I am looking at. Thanks for the welcome =D>

I will definitely stick around.......super cool site!

Conrad8899
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Conrad8899 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:52 pm

Underdog. I am on my way to Gmu 54 in Colorado in October. Second season rifle this year. I can let you no how we do. As far as 2010 thay might make Gmu 54 and 55 draw units. This would take efect in 2010. That is if it goes through... Welcome to the sight. Theres a lot of great people on here. I am sure you will get lots of info..

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:43 pm

I hunted 36 for many years before I finally woke up and smelled the coffee. We had some success there but overall it's a poor unit for consistently harvesting game. I do miss the views and love the Gore Range, brings back a ton of memories. I wish DOW would cut the number of tags to about 1/4 of the ones they give out now and do away with the OTC elk tags. I think the unit would be good again after 5 or so years, as long as we don't have a bad winter kill in there. If you want to research some new areas, I would suggest going to DOW website and find the units with good success rates and also a lot of public land. Scout them out and hunt them for a few years, if you like them stay, if not repeat until you find a good area.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

Underdog
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Underdog » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:16 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys.......And thanks for the info so far.

Underdog
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Underdog » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:50 am

Hiker wrote: I do miss the views and love the Gore Range, brings back a ton of memories.
You are spot-on about the view there.
Hiker wrote: If you want to research some new areas, I would suggest going to DOW website and find the units with good success rates and also a lot of public land. Scout them out and hunt them for a few years, if you like them stay, if not repeat until you find a good area.
That is the way that I have narrowed it down thus far. I will keep after it. I will probably poke my head in from time to time to ask questions.

TommyColey
Spike
Spike

Post by TommyColey » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:19 am

good luck, sound like your well on your way