Talk anything related to bowhunting
Anonymous

Road kill

Post by Anonymous » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:02 am

recently read an article where a person got a permit to harvest-
ROAD KILL

he was stating there was enough to keep him in meat year round-
may have been in New Jersey

I thought it was a good idea -not just leave them to rot on the side of the road

Ken

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:30 am

In CO I believe that you can keep your vehicle killed critter...mmm, tasty.

akw270

Post by akw270 » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:52 pm

I also have heard of some states that let people keep road kill. Even to the extent of a sign up sheet. They just keep going down the list and giving the people calls when animals are killed. A friend of mine knows a man who always has a freezer full of meat, but doesnt hunt!

I think it is a great idea, not to let it all go to waste.

MuleyNut
Fawn
Fawn

Post by MuleyNut » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:29 pm

I Know of some people here in Kemmerer Wyo. were i live that the Game and Fish breing them the deer that were hit on the road they are kinda poor and it helps them a lot.Personally i think it is a good thing at least there not going to waist.

Anonymous

Roadkill permit in Colorado....

Post by Anonymous » Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:32 pm

State troopers and sheriffs have permits for roadkill. You don't have to be the driver of the vehicle that hit the animal to harvest the roadkill, however the driver does get the first chance at the meat. It's preferable if the animal gets hit in the head/neck region as not to ruin a lot of the meat from a direct hit to the body. Most of the roadkill happens during the winter months when the deer and elk come down from the higher elevations and hang out in the median and shoulder of the highway. When an elk or mule deer gets a direct hit from the front of a car they usually go up and hit the windshield and the driver's hands which are on the steering wheel get smashed from the windshield collapsing so they pretty much don't want the meat. It's too bad that most of the roadkill up in the mountains is not recovered. Some of the trappers will haul off raodkill to use as bait for coyotes, fox, pine marten, etc. I"m not sure about the legality of using roadkill for bait to snare coyotes, fox and etc.

Danthe2pointmuleyman
Spike
Spike

Post by Danthe2pointmuleyman » Sat Feb 28, 2004 5:00 pm

My bro-in-law works for the ut dwr and he drives around sometimes and picks up roadkill and i have seen what he picks up and it does all go to waste and i too agree that people should be allowed to keep the animal that they hit
Happy Trails

wrmdnkr
Spike
Spike

Post by wrmdnkr » Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:36 am

I think it would make a lot more sense to allow drivers in utah that nail things on the road to take them home. It's a waste of an animal and plus it makes the highways stick with the smell of rotting flesh.

Arch
Spike
Spike

Post by Arch » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:58 pm

I think its a good idea as long as people don't try to perpesly hit the animals. just gotta watch out for gravel

Azhunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Azhunter » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:22 am

They tried this in Northern Az for a while. Then all of a sudden, every truck, and SUV had a push bar, or solid bumper. It gave road hunting a whole new meaning. I'm not sure if they ever officially got rid of it, or if they have a way around it. I do know that if an Elk for Deer gets hit, and you call the Op. Game Theif number, they can come out, and see what the damage is, then they can choose if you can keep the rack or not.

A little story on the subject thatI heard at one of the archery shops...

This old guy was driving back home from hunting up near the Grand Canyon area of the state. He was following an 18 wheeler, and just trying to get home before morning when he had to be at work. All of a sudden the truck started swinging, and bouncing. The old man pulled over out of fear that the trucker was going to loose it. Then the truck straightened out, and kept going. That's when the old man saw it, the truck driver had taken out about six or seven Elk out of a herd that was crossing at the curve. He called the Sheriff, and the GFD to come out. When they got there the old man was trying to pull the Elk off of the road with his truck. The Sheriff wrote him a ticket for taking game with out a permit, and made him go to court to fight it. Even though the Elk had tread marks on them, and the old man was driving a little S10 pickup with no front end damage. The judge threw the case out since there was no way an S10 could hit that many Elk,and not have any damage to it. ](*,)

Arch
Spike
Spike

Post by Arch » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:01 pm

Thats a good story the truck driver is probabaly lucky to be alive thanks for sharing