Heavy Arrows

Talk anything related to bowhunting
elkslayr
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Heavy Arrows

Post by elkslayr » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:49 pm

I am pulling 72 lbs. PSE says my bow shoots around 312fps. Before I got this bow I was shooting an old PSE Carroll Intruder which was the best on the market back in '92. I used it for 14 years with heavy XX-78 arrows. I loved the set up. I don't know why I swiched to carbon arrows. Probably because when I bought the new bow they gave me a dozen arrows. But seeing the FMJ's at the shop last week got me thinking about that old set up. I am willing to sacrifice speed for KE.

elkslayr
Fawn
Fawn

Post by elkslayr » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:55 pm

nuttinbutchunks wrote:I shoot Cabelas 6085s out of a Mathews Reezen. They weigh 425 grains with an Initial velocity is 295 FPS at 67 pound pull, Kenetic Energy (KE) of 82 Ft pounds. At 100 yards the computer says 70 Ft pounds of KE. That's what you gotta look at. A heavier arrow will have a more profound arc. At close distances, it's less revelant because of the ability for better shot placement.

I would think 70 Ft pounds of KE will blow a 425 grain shaft right through an elk baring contact with bone. Then broad head performance comes into play.

What Computer? Is there a web site where I can find info like this?

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:05 pm

elkslayr wrote:
nuttinbutchunks wrote:I shoot Cabelas 6085s out of a Mathews Reezen. They weigh 425 grains with an Initial velocity is 295 FPS at 67 pound pull, Kenetic Energy (KE) of 82 Ft pounds. At 100 yards the computer says 70 Ft pounds of KE. That's what you gotta look at. A heavier arrow will have a more profound arc. At close distances, it's less revelant because of the ability for better shot placement.

I would think 70 Ft pounds of KE will blow a 425 grain shaft right through an elk baring contact with bone. Then broad head performance comes into play.

What Computer? Is there a web site where I can find info like this?
There is a trial version of On Target 2 you can download from
http://pinwheelsoftware.com/
Purchasing only costs $27 for the full version. It's an eye opener when it comes to selecting the correct spine arrows for your bow, plus if you have a single pin slider sight you can print your own tapes.
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!

HighLander
Monster
Monster

Post by HighLander » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:00 pm

I shoot the Easton FMJ's 340's, the weight 468.00, I had them weighing 510.00 but I went to Blazer vanes and a shorter wrap to just lighten them up a bit. Heavy and hit like a truck hitting a wall.
ALWAYS CHECK YOUR ARROWS BEFORE SHOOTING.......TRUST ME!!

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:08 pm

HighLander wrote:I shoot the Easton FMJ's 340's, the weight 468.00, I had them weighing 510.00 but I went to Blazer vanes and a shorter wrap to just lighten them up a bit. Heavy and hit like a truck hitting a wall.
Just curious what bow you're launching them from?
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:16 pm

nuttinbutchunks wrote:
HighLander wrote:I shoot the Easton FMJ's 340's, the weight 468.00, I had them weighing 510.00 but I went to Blazer vanes and a shorter wrap to just lighten them up a bit. Heavy and hit like a truck hitting a wall.
Just curious what bow you're launching them from?
what length do you have those cut to and what grain of tips/broadheads?
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

ElkTalkOR
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ElkTalkOR » Sun May 09, 2010 7:36 am

If you want to shoot full metal jackets you might as well just go pack to alum. arrows. They will bend. I have shot about every arrow on the market and I have never found a better arrow than a Whitetail. They hold up all year long. I think people are getting carried away with the heavy arrows. If you bow shoots over 250 fps. It doesn't matter how heavy your arrow is you will blow right througt the ribs. Last year I was shooting the 45/60 whitetails 265fps and at 45 yards I shot 6*6 bull Through rib heart rib stuck in oppsite shoulder. If you cannot hit your spot you need to practice a little more. The Bull didn't make it 60 yard from shot.

ElkTalkOR
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ElkTalkOR » Sun May 09, 2010 7:38 am

They bend and don't come back

nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Sun May 09, 2010 3:33 pm

ElkTalkOR wrote:If you want to shoot full metal jackets you might as well just go pack to alum. arrows. They will bend. I have shot about every arrow on the market and I have never found a better arrow than a Whitetail. They hold up all year long. I think people are getting carried away with the heavy arrows. If you bow shoots over 250 fps. It doesn't matter how heavy your arrow is you will blow right througt the ribs. Last year I was shooting the 45/60 whitetails 265fps and at 45 yards I shot 6*6 bull Through rib heart rib stuck in oppsite shoulder. If you cannot hit your spot you need to practice a little more. The Bull didn't make it 60 yard from shot.
What he said 10sign:
I perfer a flatter trajectory.