Anyone using a slider sight for spot and stalk?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
nuttinbutchunks
2 point
2 point

Re: Anyone using a slider sight for spot and stalk?

Post by nuttinbutchunks » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:46 pm

Here's an article on the subject:
http://www.bowhuntingmag.com/2010/10/28 ... aw_200808/

What it means is that the sight body is exactly 90 degrees to the bow. And from what I figured from some the youtube videos, many good hunting sights are exactly that. I'd go a head and get it. There is another video that says you can shim your sight if it is off a little.
You can stand me up at the gates of Elko and I won't back down!

swbuckmaster
2 point
2 point

Post by swbuckmaster » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:16 pm

Sight being 90 degrees to the bow is 2nd axis.

3rd axis deals with the amount of torque that is applied on the riser when you pull it back. So a short axle to axle bow with a long draw will have more riser torque and could possibly be off more on a long steep shot then a longer axle to axle bow. If you plan on hunting flat ground or short distances 20 yards out of a tree stand don't worry about it.

If you dont want to shoot a deer in the guts on a longer shot or want to actually be competitive in archery you will get a sight with 3rd axis.

Tenner
Spike
Spike

Post by Tenner » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:46 pm

I know a few people that hunt with a single pin. I myself ordered on this year to try. I know one person who just sets it on 30 yards. Then he practices with it at 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards. All while leaving it locked at 30 yards. This way if the animal does run a bit further he just compensates for the arch. It may sound a little risky, but he shoots like this all summer and knows exactly where the arrow will hit.

I ordered a Startrax from Vital X

Pruneemac
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Pruneemac » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:01 pm

Ive been shooting an HHA for 20 years. Love it!

ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Post by ARCHER11 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:21 am

I just picked up an HHA DS-XL5519. Very similar to the one you have except I have the 2" housing. HHA just came out with a 2nd and 3rd axis adjustment bracket that will give you that option. I have used a multi pin sight for the last 6 years or so and decided to go with a single pin to get rid of the clutter and hopefully improve my accuracy. If your worried about quick close range shots, with practice and if your bow shoots relatively flat you should be able to set your sight at 30 and shoot 20 and 40 yard shots with minimal gapping. If undetected, you should have no problem dialing in your sight on an animal past 40 and shooting spot on. It might take some getting used to but I'm looking forward to getting familiar with the single pin sights. I think they're a great way to improve accuracy and clear things up for the guys who have trouble sorting out multiple pins.
I'm a member of PETA: People who Eat Tasty Animals

bowhunterxpert
Fawn
Fawn

Post by bowhunterxpert » Thu May 31, 2012 2:47 am

I just bought that exact sight, if you are worried about third axis, what I have done to minimize the tourque is to draw back with an open grip then placing your index and middle finger around to the front of the bow after you draw back. I started shooting a lot tighter groups that way after switching to this HHA, which is awesome. It is something to have to re range the animal multiple times, but we want and the animal diserves to have the most acurate shot we can give. I think in the moment of truth having five or seven pins while the adrenaline is flowing to be a bit distractive...now I just have the one. Hope this helps...

Diamondrock
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Diamondrock » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:32 am

I use a five pin sight, 20 - 60 yards. I looked at this type of sight but it just gives you one more thing to do before you can take your shot. It's bad enough having to use a range finder to verify range, let alone then have to adjust your sight. The least amount of steps I have to take before making my shot is what I'm after. Just my thoughts.
Diamond - The Rock, 60LB at 26" draw, 369 grains at 250fps - Love it! :)

COLO3D
Spike
Spike

Post by COLO3D » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:10 pm

I have shot the same single pin CBE for over a dozen years now. I has served me well and allows me to aim with the pin dialed in to the exact distance.