I'm back from Colorado (pics)

Talk anything related to bowhunting
BOHNTR

I'm back from Colorado (pics)

Post by BOHNTR » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:29 pm

Well, I finally made it back from the beautiful high country of S/W Colorado. I about had culture shock when I got home to desert heat of 108 degrees!

Had a great hunt, even though I didn’t arrow the deer I devoted almost two weeks to (including scouting time). He was a magnificent buck that would gross in the low 180’s. We nicknamed him King Crab because of his 6” G4’s. However, his 19” G2’s and 12” G3’s, made up for it. He was a pretty buck that would have suited me well. I almost had him one evening when he was feeding towards me at 55 yards…….that is until the wind changed! Hate when that happens.

During the hunt, I had seen an injured/unique buck that had a front knee the size of softball and weird shaped antlers. One side was a 12” spike with two base cheaters and the other side was a uniquely shaped 3-point that looked more like a raghorn elk type configuration. The buck was having a hard time negotiating the hillsides due to his front leg, and he just looked old and tired.

I told my hunting partner one of us was going to have to let the air out of him near the end of the hunt. Well, since my partner was also hunting a big buck, I got nominated. So two hours before we were packing up to leave, I hunted the drainage I had glassed the buck in for nearly two weeks. I found him feeding behind a group of other bucks, including a 4x4 that would probably score in the 140’s. I decided to leave the 4x4 for next year and stalk on the buck we named “Cyclops”. After sneaking up to a comfortable distance (38 yards) I let the air out of him. Definitely not the biggest buck I’ve arrowed, but probably the one that need it most! His teeth were worn and he appeared to be an older age deer.

Now the best part: My hunting partner brought his 14 year old for his first ever archery mule deer hunt. Well, you guessed it, he arrowed a nice buck! A 27” 4x4 that will net just over 150” P&Y. A Pope & Young buck for your first deer….and at only 14 years old! Man, it took me a while to get my first booker. Congrats to the young man for sure. Hope you enjoy the photos and sorry if it’s long winded. I leave for Arizona bull elk next week…..maybe I’ll have some more photos.

Here's some much needed fresh dinner:

BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

ElkaHolic
Spike
Spike

Post by ElkaHolic » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:47 pm

Cool looking Buck, and congrats to that young fellow, he may be spoiled for life!
There is a reason they call it Hunting, and not Killing :)
http://www.thehuntersspace.com

hornaddiction
Fawn
Fawn

Post by hornaddiction » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:12 pm

congrats, what part of Colorado were you hunting?

Bowuntr
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Bowuntr » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:05 am

Great story and pics. Ed F

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:31 pm

Been looking forward to hearing from you!
Sounds like a good time was had by all, especially your friends son. What a great buck to bag at that age. AWESOME!

Very unique buck to tagged out on BOHNTR.

Thanks for the story and photos, I enjoyed it all.

brett

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:44 pm

That sounds like a great time. My brother and his boy and I went to Colorado last year for the elk season and just had a ball. Congrats on a great hunt.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:35 pm

I was wandering when you were going to post some photos. Looks like you guys had a great time down there in Colorado.

Congratulations and Good Luck on your Elk hunt in Arizona!!!!

Leaving tomorrow to go chase some speed goats around the desert for a couple days and then the big deer opener is set to open next thursday so hunting season is officially begun here in Jackson!
IT TAKES ALOT OF SACK TO BAG A BIG RACK

BOHNTR

Post by BOHNTR » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:18 pm

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the photos.

WYMULEYMAN:

Good luck pard on your hunts...get a big one!
BOHNTR )))-------------->

Bowhunting Editor-Western Hunter Magazine
Pope & Young Measurer
Boone & Crockett Measurer

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:23 am

BOHNTR,

Went over to the other website just to check and see what others had to say about your buck, interesting buck by the way, and I got a kick out of the fellow that made a comment about your measuring abilities. Questioning a official measurer, man that is funny! That is the exact reason I don't like to post over there, I have been down that road once or twice. I actually posted a photos up there one time, I will email you a picture, of course some of the guys, you can imagine which ones were very kind and had great things to write about the buck, which I didn't kill but a buddy of mine killed. I however had hunted the deer for about two weeks and then took my buddy out on a one day hunt and wouldn't you know it he killed him. Anyways that is a long story in itself. But there were a couple other guys that questioned my abilities. Because they said I was a kid and didn't know my arse from a hole in the ground. I was rather p.o'ed. So I asked Brian to remove the photo.
I may not be an official scorer but only because it is hard to do in wyoming, I have checked it out. And coming up with money to do it elsewhere has just not been an option for me yet. The deer scored right at 186 inches and for public general areas in wyoming that is one heck of an impressive deer. Anyways not only I but three other people scored him and we all were right within the same score.

Congratulations again and good luck on your elk hunt. Hope to see some more photos, I will be sure to post some of our antelope hunt. And then deer next weekend for my roommate.

WYMULEYMAN
2 point
2 point

Post by WYMULEYMAN » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:25 am

P.S. you should personal email me and let me know your email account so I can send you a photo of this deer. I looked for your email account but didn't find one.