New to mule deer hunting.

Talk anything related to bowhunting
IdahoGobbler
Spike
Spike

New to mule deer hunting.

Post by IdahoGobbler » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:26 pm

Hey guys this is my first post and Just wanted to say hi and ask a few questions. I have always whiteteailed deer hunted and the thought crossed my mind after looking at a mule deer forky thru the scope. I want to go on a high country mule deer hunt and I want to use my bow. I have killed a white tail with it before but I have no clue what mule deer are like. I see them while phesant hunting and duck hunting on the river but never paid close attention to them. I feel that I am a good shot and I can hit very good out to 60 yards. ( not saying that I would) So any info would be GREAT and also I will be hunting in southern Idaho.

Thanks

Colton

muleystalker01
2 point
2 point

Post by muleystalker01 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:23 pm

never hunted Idaho, but to me there is nothing like spot and stalk hunting a big muledeer buck with a bow.One of the main keys to it is get high and glass look over the countryside very well when you find one you like makke a plan of attack look at the terain very well and pay attention to the wind.I like it when it is a little windy helps cut down on noise and allows for a little error if misplacing a foot. I shot my best muledeer with a bow at 28 steps while he was bedded. Hope this helps and good luck its addictive.

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:54 am

IdahoGobbler

Welcome,

I've never hunted southern Idaho either, but if your confident with your bow out to 60 yards that is a good start. Are you just looking to take any buck or a bigger buck. Best advice is to pattern the deer you are after. Very difficult to rattle or call in Mule deer. You need to sit on a watering hole, trail, tree stand, etc. Spot and stalk will and does work, just challenging.
Last edited by MuleyMadness on Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IdahoGobbler
Spike
Spike

Post by IdahoGobbler » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:00 pm

I think a friend and I will be going to a high country? try to get above 7000 ft. and I dont know about him but I will be looking for a really nice buck so Thanks for all the help and any more input would be helpful

Thanks

Colton

utbowhunter23
Spike
Spike

Post by utbowhunter23 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:31 am

I have to agree with everyone one here especially patterning the buck you want. Know where he comes from and know where he goes! If you want to get a really nice buck you are most likely going to need to get off of the road. I have never hunted in Idaho but most of your bigger bucks are off of the main "dirt" roads. Make sure you keep the sun at your back and the wind in your face!!! Spot and stalk is a good way but it is challenging. Sitting takes a lot of patience and that is something that I do not have. I can only sit for about an hour at most then I have to move on.

Best of luck :arrow
utbowhunter
"LIVIN TO HUNT & HUNTIN TO LIVE"

supersider34
Spike
Spike

Post by supersider34 » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:27 pm

Hey gobbler do not over look the low desert in southern Idaho as it holds some very respectable bucks. Not just in the high country do we find big ol bucks.
Good luck.

IdahoGobbler
Spike
Spike

Post by IdahoGobbler » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:24 pm

Yeah I was kind of wanting to go high country for the whole get away from every thing feeling. but thanks for the info and any thing els will be helpful. Another question I had was Do you guys think 7000 feet will be high enough or should I look for another range? thanks

gobbler

utbowhunter23
Spike
Spike

Post by utbowhunter23 » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:16 am

You should be fine at 7,000. There are mule deer at all elevations. :arrow
utbowhunter
"LIVIN TO HUNT & HUNTIN TO LIVE"

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:27 pm

I wouldn't be as worried so much about elivation as I would be about getting away from the roads. If you can find a spot that a little harder to get into to hunt you will find that most people won't go there. The best part is that the deer know this to and you will have a better chance of finding what you are looking for.
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

IdahoGobbler
Spike
Spike

Post by IdahoGobbler » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:49 pm

THis place we have to drive in on a 20 mile dirt road and then we have to hike up a heal that gaings about 2000 ft in about 1.5- 2 miles and then one to the top we have to go in about 2 miles so we will have to see!