New bow

Talk anything related to bowhunting
Stickkicker
Fawn
Fawn

New bow

Post by Stickkicker » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:28 pm

O.K. Guys and Gals. I am looking for a new bow and have to admit that it is very overwhelming with all of the new bows and options available today. I understand the basics of brace height and let off percentages etc. but I would really like to know what you are all using. What are you all shooting and what do you like or dislike about your setups. This is a fairly broad question but any insight on a product will be greatly appreciated.

ABert

Post by ABert » Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:38 pm

I bought a used PSE a few years ago and the only reason I haven't updated it is I haven't been able to do any bow hunting since the first year I bought it. If and when I do get a new bow I'll be looking at something from the Mathew's line. All I've ever heard about them are that they are the best out there. As with all things worth having, you get what you pay for. They are a bit on the high side but I believe well worth it. I'd recommend you find some articles on bow comparisons, then go to a reputable bow show and shoot some for yourself. Ask a buddy to borrow his and shoot a few arrows, see how you like it. Shoot as many different types as you can, figure out what you can afford, then buy the one that best fits you.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

muleystalker01
2 point
2 point

Post by muleystalker01 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:36 pm

don't think I can be of much help as I shoot all traditional.recurve bows and wood arrows.the only compound I have is an old Ted Nugent Cobra made by martin and I shoot it instinctively with no sites or release.the best thing I can tell you is go to your local archery shop and have them help you find the best settup that fits you comfortably.If your not comfortable with it don't go with it. It will take some trial and error but you will find something you like that works well for the type of hunting you will do.good luck and have fun. :arrow

Kirby
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Kirby » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:13 am

Personally, I shoot an Alpine Teton light.
Best way to see bows, head to an archery club, and just look around. See what everybody else is shooting, you might get to try some bows, and maybe even find a good used bow.

Kirby
When in doubt, floor it.

shorty
2 point
2 point

Post by shorty » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:59 am

Well i am not much of a bow hunter but i got one for christmas and i am going to give it a try next year. I got a pse deer hunter. i cant pull 65 pounds of pressure back so i am goint to take it out to cabelas and get it turned down.

Shorty

Stickkicker
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Stickkicker » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:53 pm

Well I think I have it narrowed down to two bows. Either an Archery
Research AR34 or the Mathews Switchback xt. Got to play with at AR34
today and it felt pretty good. Will know more on the Switchback by next week. Will be hard to hang up the old Bear for once. Thanks for the input by all.

Stickkicker
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Stickkicker » Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:18 pm

Switchback xt it is!!!!!!!! Got to mess around with one this week and
ended up bringing it home with me. Seems to shoot really well. Can't
wait to really get it tuned in and shooting up to its potential.

a_bow_nut

Post by a_bow_nut » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:29 pm

The best advice that I ever got was keep shooting different bows until you find the one that shoots just right for you. Two years ago I had a limb on my bow shatter a week before the hunt started. I went down to the pro shop to see if I could get the limbs replaced. There was no way that I could get that bow going before I left on the hunt so I kept trying bows until I found the one that shot like a dream. I practiced for a few day and got it sighted in and started hunting. That year ten days after I bought my bow I had my deer on the ground. A week after that I was off to Colorado on a DIY elk hunt just notheast of Durango. On the fouth day of the hunt I had a nice little five point laying in front of me. If it's a bow that you like to shoot from the start then everything else will fall into place with ease. Happy hunting and good 4c .
Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell
the difference.

LIVE2HUNT
Spike
Spike

Post by LIVE2HUNT » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:57 pm

SHOOT EVERYTHING YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON, THEN SHOOT THEM AGAIN. THEN PICK OUT YOUR FAVORITE 3, AND SHOOT THEM AGAIN. THEN MAKE YOUR DECISION.

ONLY A SUGGESTION.

:arrow :thumb