How far out do you shoot?

Talk anything related to bowhunting
wapiti67
Spike
Spike

Re: How far out do you shoot?

Post by wapiti67 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:36 pm

Just remember guys...just because you can hit a taget 50-80 yards away perfectly, doesnt mean squat in the woods....an animal moves!! At 50 yards, that deer or elk can move 2-5 yards in the time it takes your arrow to leave your bow and arrive at the animal....what was a perfect shot, turns into that awful nightmare of a poor hit...Just do yourself a favor and don't take the long shots...you might get lucky a few times..but, who wants the consequences of a poorly hit animal?

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Post by 6x6 bull » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:06 pm

wapiti67 wrote:Just remember guys...just because you can hit a taget 50-80 yards away perfectly, doesnt mean squat in the woods....an animal moves!! At 50 yards, that deer or elk can move 2-5 yards in the time it takes your arrow to leave your bow and arrive at the animal....what was a perfect shot, turns into that awful nightmare of a poor hit...Just do yourself a favor and don't take the long shots...you might get lucky a few times..but, who wants the consequences of a poorly hit animal?
+1

RHunter
Fawn
Fawn

Post by RHunter » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:32 am

I have shot a deer at 110 yards, last year it was the only shot I had at a nice 4 point, I debated shooting at 90 yards, but then he moved and knew I was there and was very nervous, so I decided once in a life time shot, and im glad I had a pin for a 100 yards as a just in case, I shot and nailed him

Huge29
2 point
2 point

Post by Huge29 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:13 am

MuleyMadness wrote:I wouldn't shoot past 50 yards, preferably 40 and under. But I'm pretty new also, but hope to take a Muley at close range.
Me too, except for the new part. It is all a matter of comfort and practice, practice, practice. I know of people who are very good at the longer ranges, but for us average Joes, I think 50 is a good top end.

6x6 bull
3 point
3 point

Post by 6x6 bull » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:03 pm

Someone once said that archery isn't about how far you can shoot but how close you can get before you shoot.

Tree Killer
2 point
2 point

Post by Tree Killer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:29 pm

6x6 bull wrote:Someone once said that archery isn't about how far you can shoot but how close you can get before you shoot.
:thumb :not-worthy 10sign:

My self imposed range with my recurve is somewhere between 20-25 yards, but I prefer a little closer. I'm right handed but left eye dominant, and really can't shoot beyond 30 yards with much accuracy and confidence.
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

"if you rattle, they will come"