New to Highcountry Hunting

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
BlueMountainHunter8
Fawn
Fawn

New to Highcountry Hunting

Post by BlueMountainHunter8 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:30 am

Im planning on backpacking into the Gospel Hump wilderness area in Idaho in 2011 to go after mule deer. I have never been in the area before. Im planning on doing quite a few scouting trips before the season but was wondering if anyone had hunted that area before and could tell me some about it? Any info would be apreaciated. Thank you

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Re: New to Highcountry Hunting

Post by Springville Shooter » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:48 pm

I've hunted around the Gospel Hump and taken some short day trips into the wilderness. My advise is SCOUT HARD. There are deer, but they are scattered and somewhat localized in pockets of habitat. You will need to find the deer and have a plan to be successful on this hunt. Oh, and you mught be suprised with the whitetail that you see too. I saw alot of whitey sign at the lower and mid elevations as well as some moose. Upper elevations were covered in elk sign with a few deer seen.......but not enough warrant this as a mule deer destination in the areas I was in.-------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

BlueMountainHunter8
Fawn
Fawn

Re: New to Highcountry Hunting

Post by BlueMountainHunter8 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:01 pm

Ill be staying around five to six days in the wilderness area in October. Hopefully I can find some deer in my scouting trips.