what type of daypacks does everybody prefer and whats in em

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
GPWDeer
2 point
2 point

Post by GPWDeer » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:07 pm

I usually overpack and by the end of the day I am beat from carrying a 40 pound pack and a 14 lbs rifle.

GO LIGHT!

First aid kit, snake bite kit, knives, wyoming bone saw, 2-way radio, binocs, bullets, 2 litre camel pack, compass, lighter/matches, T.P., shoulder length gutting gloves, surgical gloves, food, protein bars, can of kipper snacks for protein, flaggin tape, zip ties, rope, camera, flashlight, piano, pack mule, etc...

I'm tired just talking about what I usually pack up down those nasty hills!

My pack is a DaKine snow skiing pack which is very small/slim and fits tight to the body with good wide straps and tons of little pockets for stuff.
Making the swtich to the strick and string! Watch out!

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:58 pm

can of kipper snacks for protein, flaggin tape, zip ties, rope, camera, flashlight, piano, pack mule, etc...
LOL

I'm with you on the piano. How are you supposed to practice if you don't carry it with you? Every year I swear I'm hauling two of them just in case one isn't tuned right.

The last few years I've used the Badlands 2800 but I've been less than impressed with it. It actually broke the first time I ever had to haul meat with it. What good is a lifetime warranty when it's broken and in the mail?

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:48 pm

What about the kitchen sink to wash up after cleaning your game. I have a Dwight Schuh pack I really like. It has a (detachable from the main frame) day and fanny pack with it.
There's always next year

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:00 pm

my school back pack works just fine. carries every thing i need just fine :thumb

younggun
Spike
Spike

Post by younggun » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:27 am

doeslayer32 whats ur email, the forum wont let me post all the info, to much. :))
I've climbed 2 mountains. Found this guy, camped out on top of the world. I'm goin to get that ram. Thoughts of a commited sheep hunter. Work the next day, who cares, wife or girlfriend, THANK GOD! i'm hunting sheep and not at home.

GPWDeer
2 point
2 point

Post by GPWDeer » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:26 am

I am sort of upset. I just typed a very long discussion about the new pack I just bought and when I submitted the post it nothing happened. Anyway, if this posts then I will redo the write up....

GPWDeer

GPWDeer
2 point
2 point

Post by GPWDeer » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:43 am

okay...

So here goes again:

I was unhappy with the selection and options for daypacks that were offered by Cabela's when I was there last weekend. I had recently talked to the owner of a local sporting goods store who told me that his other business was a backpack design and manufacturing company called Blacks Creek Guide Gear. I stopped in his store the other night to check out the backpacks he makes and I was so impressed by the functionality and design of his packs that I bought one.

It is not the exact pack shown in the photo in my previous post, but it is very similar.

Reasons why I decided to purchase the pack:
1.) Overall quality of the product seemed VERY HIGH
2.) High level of functionality of the design and the features offered
3.) The cammo patter was offered in a sagebrush pattern
4.) You can easily attach and cary a bow or a rifle using their well designed weapon restraining system
5.) H20 pack compatible
6.) Spotting scope pocket
7.) waterproof
8.) pocket to carry tripod/bipod/unipod
9.) Orange cover that can be unrolled over the entire pack when carrying a rack/head on the pack (so you don't get shot)
10.) lots of additional straps and bungee cord attachment points
11.) Large main compartment with several zippered smaller pockets for ease of access of items stored
12.) Adjustable shoulder strap position for different sized people
13.) built in emergency whistle on the clip for the chest strap
14.) velcro attachment points on both hip straps for accessories such as knives, handguns, GPS, flashlight etc.
15.) Main compartment can be expanded/contracted via draw straps on the side to adjust for shorter/longer trips.

Just a note: I don't have any affiliation with this guy or his business, but I thought that I should let everyone know about the producst they offer because I have struggled to find something that meets my specific needs as I am sure others have.

The website is http://www.blacks-creek.com/index.php

oh yeah, the price: $115.99

I will have to take some closer pictures when my wife returns from NYC with our digital camera next week.

GPWDeer

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:58 pm

mines got a spot for pincles or amo, place for water, place for a disc man or a camle back water thing.

starts at around $45.00
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne

joesigep
Fawn
Fawn

Post by joesigep » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:34 pm

I use a Large military ruck sack with frame. you can find them at a depot pretty cheap.

and contents well i think everything has been covered here. but look at a buck buster, a good overall knife for deer.
Joe

silvertip-co
2 point
2 point

Post by silvertip-co » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:48 pm

A blk nylons Jansport I got from my kid. I've had it all over America, ALaska, Mexico. Got everythign in it but the kitchen sink. ANd two spare boxes of ammo.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM
NRA LIFE MEMBER