Anyone tried shooting 3 pellets out of a .45?

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
Mike Honcho
Fawn
Fawn

Anyone tried shooting 3 pellets out of a .45?

Post by Mike Honcho » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:48 am

I have a .45 Cal. CVA Optima Pro and I only shoot the recommended (2) 50 grain pellets. I was talking to a guy the other day that claims I should be using three pellets. I told him the book recommends no more then 100 grains of powder fro a .45 Cal. But this guy says that 150 grains won't hurt anything. I don't know that I trust this guy so I'm curious if anyone has tried shooting 150 grains out of a .45 CVA or any other brand?
"You can't fix stupid!"

AJ
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Anyone tried shooting 3 pellets out of a .45?

Post by AJ » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:15 pm

How long has your friend been a metalurgist or mechanical engineer? He's not? I did not think so.

Do not go over the recommended loads unless you understand what pressures you are dealing with and understand the limitations of your gun. Plain and simple.

Mike Honcho
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Mike Honcho » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:27 pm

First off this guy isn't really a friend, someone I have to deal with for business. But he thinks he knows everything about everything. But I kind of figured what you are saying so I don't plan on trying it. I've been reading about it today online and the only things I can think of is he's either lying, or he used (3) 30 grain pellets. Plus my gun shoots great with 100 grains so if it ain't broke don't fix it, or in this case, possibly break it!
"You can't fix stupid!"

AJ
Fawn
Fawn

Post by AJ » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:48 pm

Yeah, I know the type. I guess my post could have come across negatively towards you but it was not intended. More pointed at the "genius".

I have shot some heavy loads from my Knight .45 caliber. In fact I shoot 125 gr of loose Pyrodex 2f as my deer load. This load is actually less pressure than 100 gr of 3f Triple 7. But the gun is also rated for the 150 gr "magnum" charges. If your gun shoots great at 100 gr by all means use it. Out to 125 yards there is no benefit of the extra powder. It kicks a lot more and eats up more powder.

Mike Honcho
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Mike Honcho » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:36 am

AJ,
It's all good man! I think I got a little defensive because if you knew this guy you probably wouldn't want to be associated with him. But thanks for the feedback, i'm going to just keep shooting what i've been shooting.
Thanks again for the info though!
"You can't fix stupid!"

sagebrush
Spike
Spike

Post by sagebrush » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:15 pm

Mike Honcho wrote:I have a .45 Cal. CVA Optima Pro and I only shoot the recommended (2) 50 grain pellets. I was talking to a guy the other day that claims I should be using three pellets. I told him the book recommends no more then 100 grains of powder fro a .45 Cal. But this guy says that 150 grains won't hurt anything. I don't know that I trust this guy so I'm curious if anyone has tried shooting 150 grains out of a .45 CVA or any other brand?
\

Most muzzloading barrel makers build in a 300% safety factor in their barrels today.. they openly admit that
on tv... ive personally heard them say it.... making the barrels stronger than needed keeps them from being
sued due to customer incompetance and stupidity. you can derive from this that your buddy was technically
right... but is it really nessasary when keeping reasonable shot distances ( say up to 75 yards) and good shot placment.. probably not... but.. if i had spotted that one trophy elk or deer or bear that i was going to
nail the next day...yea id do it...and not blink a eye USING A RIFLE

AS FOR A PISTOL... THE ONLY ONE I COULD SAY WITH CERTIANITY IS THE RUGER OLD ARMY ... MOST WHO HAVE ONE SHOOT SMOKLESS POWDER IN IT AS ITS BUILT LIKE A TANK...

WITH FORIEGN MADE PISTOLS... YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW STRONG IT IS...