My First Smoked Deer

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
huntingal
Spike
Spike

My First Smoked Deer

Post by huntingal » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:56 pm

Due to extinuating cercumstances (being 7 months pregnant come September) I put down the bow and picked up a muzzleloader this year to chase the deer.
My husband had seen several real nice bucks in the mountains that we persued without luck the first weekend. Then, while driving the bean and sunflower fields around the house we ran into a herd of bachlors that had several nice and one whooper of a buck. We figued out they were bouncing between two fields every other day and set up a plan to ambush them one morning.
Tuesday morning we found them in their respective field. I set up along thier escape rout, my husband would circle them and "encourage" them right past me. Simple right, of course not! :)) Instead of heading down the draw they broke out across the field. I got a good look at all of the bucks. There were three about 24", three smaller and the whopper. The last couple of years I have coyote hunted in this draw/ field combo and had a pretty good idea where they were headed. On a hunch I started after them. As soon as I topped the rise I saw antlers and went into "stealth" mode. Slinking from one sagebrush to the next till I was within 80-100 yards of the bunch. I could tell they didn't know what to do next and the sagebruch was to high form me to pick one from the next. So I set up to wait them out. I got set up on my sticks, pulled back the hammer, set the trigger and waited. I didn't have to wait long, Hubby had gone back to the bronco and circled around on the road (good half mile away) to look for the deer. The deer had seen him before he saw them and were getting nervous, deciding to come my way =D>
This guy was the second one out and he obediatly stopped when asked. Hubby didn't know I was anywhere neer the deer. Said he just saw deer running and then a big cloud of blackpowder came out of a sagebush. :))
The 54 slug entered a little low and farther back than I would have liked, but deadly none the less.
I am quite proud of my first blackpowed buck, even if he wasn't the "whooper" I believe he is the biggest most symetrical buck I have ever taken.

Not the best pic of me, but a good one of the deer! :)

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:19 pm

That is a BEAUTY! Sweet buck and thanks for posting him up and sharing the story with us also.

I remember you stories from last year and enjoyed them. Glad you got a BIG one.

I'd be tickled with one like that! :thumb :thumb

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:41 pm

huntingal, CONGRATS! Great story and a great lookin' buck too!

Boy, us guys have no room to complain! You stalked and harvested that bad boy while almost 7 months pregnant?! AWESOME!

DeadI

Post by DeadI » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:09 pm

Nice job. And great looking Buck. not the "whooper"!!

Man I wana see the "whooper".

Congrats on a fine buck.
Deadi

callofthewild
2 point
2 point

Post by callofthewild » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:14 pm

that is a great looking buck with the ole muzzleloader. i can't wait for Utah's muzzy season to open. 2 more weeks!!!!!!!! :thumb

Torch
3 point
3 point

Post by Torch » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:55 pm

Congratulations! That's a very nice and symmetrical buck. I enjoyed the story as well. =D> Hopefully I will get a crack at one like that in a couple of weeks!

UtahRob
4 point
4 point

Post by UtahRob » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:20 pm

Yes , very nice buck !!!!!!!!!!! :thumb :thumb

ABert

Post by ABert » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:26 pm

Congrats on a beauty of a buck! I sure hope you are getting him mounted!

Thanks for the story and I've got to admit, I'm still chuckling about "stealth mode" and "slinking" while being 7 months pregnant! :))
Evidently, it works very well! :thumb
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:45 pm

well congrats on a nice big buck! :thumb
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne

TCsmokepole
Spike
Spike

Post by TCsmokepole » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:16 pm

Great Buck! :thumb
One shot is all I Got.