Smokeless powders in ML season?

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Smokeless powders in ML season?

Post by M.Bird » Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:10 am

Savage ML:
Did a search before asking the question, sorry if it a repeat.

Savage arms makes a ML that can take Black Powder, Pellets, or Smokeless Powder, Has anyone shot/owned one of these and what does the state laws say about using them in a ML season? I’m not sure if the states have addressed the use of smokeless powder in the ML’s yet?

Thanks in advance

M. Bird

UtahRob
4 point
4 point

Post by UtahRob » Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:52 pm

I feel smokeless muzzleloaders belong in the general season not the black powder or black powder substitute season. The smokeless powders velocities are way higher and they are no longer close range weapons . Some people feel the same about in-lines. With the load ( powder, bullet ) i use , i would not consider shooting a Elk past 100 yards . I don't think the velocities are high enough to expand my bullet at longer ranges. I also love the smoke and want to keep this a close range sport . I think Most states have addressed smokeless powder gun being used during the muzzleloader season , i may be wrong .

AJ
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Smokeless powders in ML season?

Post by AJ » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:02 am

Why not resurrect an old post?

Anyhow, yes, I have a Savage 10 ML II muzzleloader. It's been in my safe since early 2004. It is all its cracked up to be. It is the strongest ML on the market. I have 4 TCs, Hawkens in flint and perc, Black DIamond, and Encore, a pair of Knight Disc Elites, a Rem 700 ML, and the Savage. So I am very familiar with the guns and their limitations.

The Savage will take smokeless and that is super fun. It does increase the lethality of muzzleloaders, but increasing range is not exactly easy. It took a lot of load development to get acceptable groups at 200 yards. I have had a lot more success getting stinky powder guns accurate at 200 yards. I have taken ground hogs (when I lived back east) out to 225 yards with my stinky shooting guns and deer to 150. My farthest kill with the Savage was 50 yards.

Bullet selection gets tricky when the speeds get up there. The XTP bullets act like varmint bullets. Shots better be behind the shoulder on deer and exits are not too common. I would not consider using them for elk, the SST shoots well, has a high BC and would work for elk though, but there are better choices out there for elk.

Benefits of the Savage shooting smokeless
Less recoil when shooting stinky powder velocities. A 250 gr saboted bullet going 2000-2100 fps is a very mild load. With 150 gr of Pyrodex or T7, it kicks the buhjezzus out of you.

Non corrosive fouling. Your gun will not rust at the slightest hint of moisture like the stinky powder guns will.

Drawbacks of the Savage
It is a very heavy gun. The stainless laminated gun is 1.5 pounds heavier than my Knights or Remington. That weight is welcome while developing loads at the bench though.

Bullet selection can become critical depending on the velocities.

It can take some work to find a good load for your gun. But that's the fun of shooting.

I have read on many forums that many states will make the Savage illegal. Hogwash! If htey allow inlines, the Savage can be used. They can restrict the use of smokeless powder but banning one particular gun, yeah, right.

It's a very fun gun and I highly recommend it.