New gun for elk

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
AJ
Fawn
Fawn

New gun for elk

Post by AJ » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:20 pm

I decided to buy a new ML for my elk hunt this fall and finally decided on the stainless Omega in a laminated stock. On my first outings with the Omega, I was not very happy. I had to use all of the scope's verticle adjustment to get close to zero. Since scopes rarely perform well at the extremes of their adjustment, I had to find another fix. I searched and found Ken Farrell makes a +20 MOA base for the Encore. The Omega and Encore share the same scope bases, so I ordered one. I ordered a set of Warne high rings to complete the setup.

While I was waiting for the mount and rings to arrive, I did a bedding job on the Omega. I found the action moves around a bit in the stock. I filled the holes in the mounting blocks with clay and gave it a good coating of release agent (Pam) and mixed up some JB Weld. I pulled everything loose the next day and after a little cleanup of the overflow spots, I mixed some more and did a skim coat to fill the voids. When this was done, I again cleaned the overflow, and the ramrod channel, and sanded the barrel channel to allow the barrel to free float from the front action screw to the end of the stock.

I slugged the barrel and find its measurements are .510" and .498". So with the grooves running about .012" deep, it should give decent bites on the sabots.

When the mounts and rings arrived, I installed everything and laid the Kahles 3-10x50 in the rings. It's a very nice fit. Allowing clearance for the flip up scope caps but nore too high to make the shooter's head float above the stock.

I pre-measured a bunch of 100, 110, and 120 gr tubes of Blackhorn 209 powder and headed to the range with a handfull of different bullets. The scope zeroed with minimal adjustments and I was very pleased with the results.

I tried the 340 gr Dead Center saboted bullets with 100 gr of powder and did not care for the 4" groups at 100 yards. Sure they are minute of elk, but I can do better.

I found the 300 gr Bonded SST/ShockWave in a Harvester sabot shot very well with 120 gr charges. I also found the 290 gr Barnes TMZ bullet shot very well. I moved to 200 yards and was able to shoot sub MOA groups with the SST and the TMZ! The first pic is the Barnes TMX and the second group is the Bonded SST, each group is at 200 yards. By the way, these shots were number 25-27 and 28-30 without swabbing or cleaning. I like BH209!!!

My Kahles has a BDC type of reticle and I found the center crosshair is zeroed at 100 yards, the hashes are on at 150, 200, about 1 MOA low at 250, and about 2 MOA low at 300. It is close enough to allow me to shoot just over MOA (4") group at 300 yards.

I think I will be using the 300 gr Bonded SST for my elk hunt next month when I chase the bulls. The POI was close enough between the two, I can interchange between them. I am now happy with this muzzleloader. Now all I need is for a good bull to give me a clear shot. =D>

I set up my Knight DIsc Elite .50 cal as a backup gun and found 110 gr of Blackhorn 209 pushing the 350 gr Hornady FPB was acceptable. My Omega did not like this round but the Knight will shoot it 1.5 MOA at 100 yards. I did not play with it at 200 yards yet but I am confident I can make it work to 200 yards on an elk.

UtahRob
4 point
4 point

Re: New gun for elk

Post by UtahRob » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:43 pm

good shooting !!!

I have a SS encore but feel the Omega is a simpler design . I have had some problems with my Encore , both the butt stock and forearm kept coming loose took care of that . Then i noticed that unless i slammed it closed hard it was not locking tight and there was play between the action and barrel so i replaced the locking bar spring and hinge pins . If i did it all over i would get a set up like yours and not my Encore , But i have mine all worked out and i guess some guns just need a little tweaking . Hope you got a Elk !! ???? Get this my last day of my Elk hunt i was sitting on a trail and had a bull come by at 70 yards . I put my encore on the log next to me , aimed and pulled the trigger CLICK , i forgot to put a primer in my Muzzle after i left the truck . I had to laugh , :)) i gave my son a bad time for doing the same thing , but he did it on the first day of his hunt and got a bull 2 days later . I did it the last day of the season just before dark !!!! ](*,) ](*,)

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Re: New gun for elk

Post by NotEnufTags » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:08 pm

I shoot a stainless Omega with the synthetic stock. I was very frustrated during the first sight in trips. I could not get any saboted bullets to give an acceptable pattern. Once I found a powder/bullet combo that worked, I have been very happy with it. Here in Utah its illegal to have a scope with anything greater than 1x magnification. I use a red dot scope. The powder/bullet combo that gets good groups for me is 150 gr Triple Seven pellets with the 348 gr .50 cal power belt hollow point. I figure with that set up, that even if I shake and miss dead center I'll still bulldoze the animal :)) I feel confident in shooting my setup out to 200 yards.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."