Post your 09 smoke pole buck here.

Talk Anything related to Muzzleloader
UtahRob
4 point
4 point

Re: Post your 09 smoke pole buck here.

Post by UtahRob » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:11 pm

Shot a small 2x2 the last evening on the season , sorry no photo of the buck i forgot my camera . A friend did take a photo of me with the buck so , i may or may not get a photo . ?? One shot with a 300 grain xtp through the shoulders with my encore took his lights out at 15o yards ( 152 stepped off ) , I did go back a few day latter and took a few photo of the spot i shot him from .

here is the brush pile that i rested my encore on . A small herd of deer would come down out of the mountains cross a fence and enter the area i was hunting . I was hiding by a rock and just before they jumped the fence they winded me and went 200 yards east and jumped the fence there and entered the field i was in . I crawled to the brush pile put my 1 x scope a foot over his back and dropped him . He was a fat 2x2 from eating in the wheat , corn safflower and alfalfa and winter wheat in the area . I could only get way for a few hrs each morning and evening and was glad to get anything . I did see 15 bucks and around 200 does while hunting the few times id did get out and all were smaller than the little guy i shot . And he has small horns . Getting out and taking anything is great !! :thumb Some good eating to be had for sure .

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96 ... 4594-1.jpg

here is the fence they WERE going to cross when they winded me /

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96 ... G_4597.jpg

and here is where i WAS hiding . It was a great set up just wish there had been some bigger deer but i still had a great time . Just great to be out !! :thumb

http://i365.photobucket.com/albums/oo96 ... G_4598.jpg
Last edited by UtahRob on Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UtahRob
4 point
4 point

Post by UtahRob » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:25 pm

[quote="GUTPYLZ"]He was 24.5 inches wide.
[img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d162/ ... ley128.jpg[/img][/quote]

NICE buck !!

How do you like your CVA Apex ?? They are nice looking guns and will give TC Encores a run for the money for sure !! I have seen some really good reviews on the apex . Here are a few !!!

http://www.sunrisearchery.com/Apex.htm

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=554

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:10 pm

Here's a buck a friend of mine Owen shot this year in Utah. He's not much into computers so I'll post a picture with short story.

After he drew out, he called me looking for a place to start. He really wanted to get away from the crowds. Even at the exspense of seeing less deer. I told him of a place I had see some good bucks a few years ago and I thought would not get much pressure at all. He was all over that idea/spot. On opening day he missed a 28+ buck 4x4 and then about a 26" 3x3 a few days later. Then this buck showed up the night before the big storm hit. He had it at 50 yards and fired off two caps but the powder would not ignite. Then the snow came and he called me from under a juniper tree for a weather report. I told him to hang tight, it should pass in a few hours and he just might have a great evening hunt. Just keep the powder dry. lol That evening the big buck showed back up in the same area as the night before and this time his gun did go off. He was shooting a 50 cal. hawkins style muzzy. Check out the awesome bases. Must be at least 7" in diameter. Also, he said he never saw another hunter in the 9 days he was out there, only a couple cowboys checking on cows. Congrats Owen. :thumb
My son just had to get into the picture when Owen stopped by my house to show me the buck.
There's always next year

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:00 pm

Amazing buck!! 10sign: 10sign:

Your a heck of a good guy and friend Ridge. I'm way impressed. :thumb

GUTPYLZ
3 point
3 point

Post by GUTPYLZ » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:00 pm

Very nice!!!
How do you like your CVA Apex ?? They are nice looking guns and will give TC Encores a run for the money for sure !! I have seen some really good reviews on the apex . Here are a few !!!
I love it!! I missed a couple nice four points, but it was my fault. I didn't have much time to master it. I shot the presicion QT 215 grain and it loved it. I think I'd use them on elk. I hit the front shoulder bone, blew it up and still managed to go throuh both lungs. Looking forward to buying a new barrel for it in either a 22-250 or 223 or 243. I can't seem to make up my mind just yet, but I'm leaning towards the 243.
"Waste Is Unjustified, And Especially The Waste Of Time.
One Must Live, Not Only Exist.
One Must Do, Not Merrily Be.
One Must Grow, Not Vegetate."
SPENCER W. KIMBALL

Loafer
3 point
3 point

Post by Loafer » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:59 am

Dandy!
Uva uvam vivendo varia fit - Augustus McCrae

FrontierGander
Spike
Spike

Post by FrontierGander » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:12 pm

my brother in laws first muzzleloader muley. 175 yard shot with my cva accura and 105gr Pyrodex rs with a 250gr Thor conical.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:53 am

This is probably a worthless post without pics, but last night I saw pics of the muzzle loader buck that 230+ shot in new mexico. It wasn't huge but truely unique. It was still in the velvet. When he got up to gut it the buck had no testicles. The velvet was from the previous year. It never rubbed. The buck had all the beginnings of the cactus bucks you hear about. The browtine were bladed with tons of little burrs starting. It was only a 22" main frame but had a hook cheater coming out one side and little bumps on the antlers that would have become trash all over. I told him to post it up. He said he see if he can get around to it.

I also saw about 20 sheds hes picked up in the last couple of months that are over 80" sheds. Man he's good. He was with his dad and saw 2 inches of a tine at 500 yards. He said dad somthings out of place down there. He brought up his binos and said theres a shed. He spent the next 15 minutes trying to eplain to his dad where it was through the binos. Dad said youre up in the night there's no shed at the foot of the bush that your describing. When they walked down to the bush the 2" were the tip of an over 80" side. I wish my eyes were trained like that.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

utahsteve
Fawn
Fawn

Post by utahsteve » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:38 pm

Well I have been lurking/reading here for a while. I guess this is as good as time as any to post. I was lucky enough to connect on this 4 point while my two sons were with me. 250 grain hornady sst sabot with 110 grains of triple 7 ffg.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:41 pm

Nice buck and welcome Utah Steve, and, oh ya, we all want the details of the hunt. Anybody second that motion?
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen