I need dog first aid help!!

Ducks, Geese, Turkeys, Quail, Chickens, Grouse, Doves, etc.
one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

I need dog first aid help!!

Post by one hunting fool » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:51 am

I got my dogs hunting vests this year and while hunting in them they rubbed the under part of there legs raw. (like the arm pit of a human area) I have put antibiotics on them but they are just not drying out enough to scab. I am afraid they could turn gangrene if not treated correctly. Has anyone encountered this and if so what did you do to treat it? And how do I stop this from happening again? I like the vest because it stopped my high speed dog from requiring stitches Saturday, when she ran full speed into an ankle high string of barb wire. Any help Please!!!
Genesis 27:3
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

Mark
3 point
3 point

Re: I need dog first aid help!!

Post by Mark » Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:08 pm

Scrub the area thoroughly with a saline solution and apply a liberal amount of EMT Gel on the wound. It's extremely important to clean the area well before applying the gel.

You'll probably have to buy the EMT Gel online and have it shipped overnight to you. It's worth the extra charge to get it quick. EMT Gel is magic. You should keep a few tubes on hand in your first aid kit.

Can the vest be trimmed in the armpit area? I've never had a vest that didn't need to be trimmed to fit right. Is it neoprene?
Hoyt

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:58 pm

i've been checking to see if mark could chime in on this one. i've never had a problem with mine. i have trimmed both vests my dog has owned around the armpits. i will order some of that EMT gel just to keep on hand. GREAT INFO MARK!

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:17 pm

Thanks Mark,
I have trimmed the vests to fit and thought they looked good but i can see from the soars it caused it needs more trimming. i was thinking of maybe next time i would put an old t shirt on unter the vest that way she would have a little pertection in the armpit area. yes they are neoprene? its the new Browning ones with the rough extra chest protection. i thought when i bought them. "man these are nice and strong" i trimmed and cut them put v necks in and then resewed them but that rough area acts like sand paper on the poor dogs.
Now take your hunting equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out into the open country and hunt some wild game for me.

Mark
3 point
3 point

Post by Mark » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:04 pm

Maybe try wrapping their armpits with vet wrap instead of using a t-shirt. That way you can protect the areas that are chaffing. When I hunt chukar I put boots on my yellow dogs feet. For whatever reason his feet can't take a day in the rocks like my other dogs. I use the cheap leather boots and secure them with vet wrap. It doesn't stick to their hair or their skin. It only sticks to itself.

Give that a shot and just wrap the areas that are getting chaffed.
Hoyt

one hunting fool
Monster
Monster

Post by one hunting fool » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:36 am

well with oral antibiotics my girl is feeling better every day (and neosporin). i looked at the vest and cut it some more last night and i think i may even put a sleeve in the vest to protect the area. maybe an old sock or something i have not figured it out yet.