Which Trail Cam is the best

Dedicated to Trail Cam's
AntlersOutWest
4 point
4 point

Post by AntlersOutWest » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:01 am

Johnyutah5:

I believe this camera is very realiable. This spring I got 5200 pictures in two weeks. I set it up in our pasture when all the elk come down to eat our horses hay. I check it every other day and it seems to catch everything.

I give most of the credit to the quality of the pictures, Very pleased.
I have noticed that the sun will set it off . I get a few pictures of nothing
but you can see the change of shadows in the picture.

Im sure every camera gets alot of missed pictures. It all depends on how fast the animal is moving infront of the camera. I will go check it once a week to see if it working properly and I never have any problems.
I have very pleased with the stealth cam.

I set up bear bait to see if I can get a couple picts by my Moultrie camera last weekend, I will post pictures Sat to compare. Not so impressed with it so far.

I can send pictures if you would like.
Carrie

Wapiti
2 point
2 point

Post by Wapiti » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:41 pm

MuleyMadness wrote:I build my own, using an Olympus D-360 L camer or Sony a couple of different Sony cameras. It's cheaper and they work GREAT. Takes some time to build, but it's fun.
I also build my own like MM says they are cheaper and you can have them do anything a store bought will do.

creamernator
Fawn
Fawn

Post by creamernator » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:48 am

ALthough I do not live in muley country, I use trail cameras for a lot of scouting here in Ohio for whitetails. I own 4 trail cams, by 3 different companies. Each has it's strong points and downsides, but some are better than others. Here's what I have and what I have to say:

-Moultrie 1.3 digital: takes great night photos, average daytime photos. The trigger speed is slow and not very sensitive to smaller animals. Battery life is also not great. With rechargeable batteries I have to swap batteries every week. Bottom line, they are cheap and work well for feeder watching where animals will be in front of the camera for a while.

-Cuddeback Excite: this camera takes great quality photos during the day and good pics at night. Nighttime quality is not quite as good as the Moultrie in my opinion. It triggers exceptionally fast and is perfect for trail watching. Battery life is very good. It will usually get about 800-900 photos per battery set.

-Leaf River IR3-BU: this is my first infrared "no-flash" camera, and I have been very impressed. Day photos are very clear and sharp, although not true-to-life colors (doesn't bother me). Night photos are OK, but the IR illumination is weaker on the edges of the photos. I may add a flash booster for $40 to add illumination. This camera also does video mode, day and night. I have had excellent results with both still and video mode. Battery life is incredible. I have had and ran this camera since February and am only on my 3rd set of batteries.

If you have any questions or would like some of my sample photos, feel free to ask!
Aim small, miss small