Bino mount for tripod?

Optics, cameras, tents, boots, binoculars, spotting scopes & other gear.
Buck Fever
3 point
3 point

Bino mount for tripod?

Post by Buck Fever » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:15 am

Anybody use the bino mount for the tripods very often? Looking at buying one. Im going to spend a ton of time behind the glass this fall, so wondering if its a good investment? I know I will like it on those cold chilly mornings. Thanks!
Must be mentally focused at all times!!

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Re: Bino mount for tripod?

Post by tommycaller » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:59 am

I just bought a tripod adapter for my zeiss 15 x 60's. They do not have a place to attach to the adapter as most of the newer binoculars do on the front. You have to attach to the center axel. I could not locate the zeiss adapter. If I was able to to get one the price as listed on the internet was over 100.00. I bought a steel Nikon adaptor that works perfect for around 50.00 on amazon. The adaptor works very well for all of your glassing as it provides a great deal of stability. I have another adapter for the newer style binoculars that is made from plastic. If it is windy, you get alot of vibration. I would recommend that you get a steel adapter for this reason. The tripod should also be a sturdy one with good smooth moving head. You will appreciate how much better they work. Good luck, Tom
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"

SomeGuy01
Spike
Spike

Post by SomeGuy01 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:26 pm

I bought one a few months ago for my vortex vipers. You would not beleive the difference it makes when glassing for long periods of time. Just to get rid of that little bit of shake and movement will allow you to see things so much better through your binos. There were a few times that by having them on the tripod I could pick out animals that I did not see by just holding them up myself. Also it makes a huge difference when looking for sheds through your binos as well.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:34 pm

I kind of feel dumb asking this but why do you want to put your binos on a tripod when you could use a spotting scope? Do you use it so you don't have to pack your scope on long hikes or does it really make that much of a difference? Sorry for my ignorance on this subject but I'm very interested now.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

SomeGuy01
Spike
Spike

Post by SomeGuy01 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:51 pm

Sneekee, personally I still carry both my binos and my spotter with me. I will set up the binos on the tripod and glass over everything real good, then if there is something i would like a better look at or that is to far for the binos then I will throw on the spotter. I just really love the stability of the binos on a tripod to sit and glass everything. Although if im still hiking or not in the situation to stay and glass for a while, I will still just throw them up by hand to look something over. But if im going to glass a while i will put them on the tripod, it just works better for me.

sneekeepete
Monster
Monster

Post by sneekeepete » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:55 pm

Makes sense I carry both with me too. I just use my spotting scope on a tripod. I might have to try out my binos on the tripod this weekend. Thanks for the input.
SNEEKEEPETE
OIF Vet.
Sgt Petersen USMC
Colossians 1:27,28

SomeGuy01
Spike
Spike

Post by SomeGuy01 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:17 pm

Cool let us know what you thought of it when you get back.

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:55 pm

It's been alot easier for me to look through the bino's than it is the spotting scope. Using both eyes makes a big difference. I still carry both. I talked with Duwane Adams and found out that he and his friends use the trip[od method and Big Eyes spotting binoculars, a big set of Swarovski 15 x 56 or the 15 x 60 zeiss binos and never carries a scope. Those guys spot deer 5 miles away with binoculars. It seems that the scope would tell you if the buck was worth wasting time on if you crank it up to 60 power, but he says the scope is not necessary.
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"