Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Small Game in Colorado Unit 711

Post by TexasHunter83 » Thu May 08, 2014 8:24 am

Hey fellas,

I realize this isn't a small game forum, but I couldn't really figure out where else to post this. Should I get the chance to hunt for a muley this year, there are some friends and family that were interested in purchasing small game licenses. I know CO allows you to harvest small game when you have an unfilled big game license, but some of people in our group will not be hunting big game. Does anyone have any idea what kind of small game I can expect to find in San Miguel County in the Disappointment Valley area? I'm sure rabbits and squirrels are pretty normal to expect, but was just curious as to what other small game would be in the area. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Re: Small Game in Colorado Unit 711

Post by Muley Stalker » Thu May 08, 2014 8:51 am

The only small game you can with an unfilled big game tag are coyotes. Not all small game.

You better check the small game hunting dates to see what's available during your hunt. Only coyote can be hunting year around. There's also a caliber restriction.

If you're unclear about the laws you should call the DOW. They're glad to help.
Keep your nose in the wind.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:54 am

Muley Stalker wrote:The only small game you can with an unfilled big game tag are coyotes. Not all small game.

You better check the small game hunting dates to see what's available during your hunt. Only coyote can be hunting year around. There's also a caliber restriction.

If you're unclear about the laws you should call the DOW. They're glad to help.
10-4, I misread that regulation in the small game brochure. You are correct. I guess I will be purchasing a small game as well. I have the read the caliber restrictions as well. If I'm not mistaken, anything under .23 caliber is good for small game where I will be (during Big Game season that is). I have been looking at last year's small game brochure because they haven't come out with this year's. Judging by last year's, I'll be able to hunt: Rabbits and Hares, Coyote, Fox & Pine Squirrel, Prairie Dogs, Badger, Mink, Pine Marten, Gray Fox, Red Fox, Swift Fox, Weasel, and a few other varmint/rodents. I was just curious as to what small game animals I would even see in the area I'm in. There may be some migratory birds in there too that I haven't quite looked up. I probably won't be doing any small game hunting unless I happen to get a muley early and have some days to burn afterwards.

Muley Stalker
Spike
Spike

Post by Muley Stalker » Thu May 08, 2014 11:42 am

I wish I could help you on that area, but I don't hunt it. Hopefully, someone will chime in.
Keep your nose in the wind.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:08 pm

Muley Stalker wrote:I wish I could help you on that area, but I don't hunt it. Hopefully, someone will chime in.
No problem man. I hope someone will chime in as well. It's kind of slow this time of year so I won't get discouraged...lol

bh107
Spike
Spike

Post by bh107 » Fri May 30, 2014 10:24 am

Not much else to hunt there, I sometimes see a rabbit or a coyote, but thats it.

Also be careful, there has been quite a big crack down on group hunting in that area the last few years, as there should be. One year there was a group camped about a mile away with 14 guys in camp, and only 5 tags, yet they all seemed to be hunting deer. 2 years later I ran into one of them again and he bragged how they got 9 deer in the camp 2 years earlier.

I know some other guys that got popped for that in CO about 10 years ago, and they almost lost the their guns and vehicles used to transport the illegally taken deer. They don't mess around up there.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Fri May 30, 2014 11:23 am

bh107 wrote:Not much else to hunt there, I sometimes see a rabbit or a coyote, but thats it.

Also be careful, there has been quite a big crack down on group hunting in that area the last few years, as there should be. One year there was a group camped about a mile away with 14 guys in camp, and only 5 tags, yet they all seemed to be hunting deer. 2 years later I ran into one of them again and he bragged how they got 9 deer in the camp 2 years earlier.

I know some other guys that got popped for that in CO about 10 years ago, and they almost lost the their guns and vehicles used to transport the illegally taken deer. They don't mess around up there.
Thanks for the heads up; though I can assure you we're not planning on doing anything illegal. I never have been a fan of people breaking laws for a "deer." We have people here in Texas that will risk huge fines, jail time, loss of property, just for a freaking deer; whether it's not buying a license, or shooting them off the road at night. Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of, in addition to keeping a fish that's a 1/2" too short of the minimum length (rolleyes). There haven't been any added restrictions on just camping during the season has there? We're all ethical outdoorsman and the ones that don't have tags KNOW they can't take big game rifles to CO with them; much less hunt big game there at all. So far there's going to be 8 of us and only 3 tags. The other 5 just want to go to camp, cook, take photos, and just enjoy being with family and in the outdoors. To be honest, 4 of those 5 aren't even big hunters to begin with. The way we have it planned is that 3 who don't have tags will hunt with each of us that do have tags; to take photos, help with a kill, and just provide any other assistance. They will not be allowed to carry a rifle while we are hunting. Only after we've taken our mule deer will any of them try to do any small game hunting. The only one's carrying rifles will be the three of us that have tags. The others can bring small game rifles and hunt small came when we've harvest our deer. That's the general plan anyway. I have a CHL permit; the last thing I want to do is get busted for something stupid and lose it.... :>/

bh107
Spike
Spike

Post by bh107 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:00 pm

TexasHunter83 wrote:
bh107 wrote:Not much else to hunt there, I sometimes see a rabbit or a coyote, but thats it.

Thanks for the heads up; though I can assure you we're not planning on doing anything illegal. I never have been a fan of people breaking laws for a "deer." We have people here in Texas that will risk huge fines, jail time, loss of property, just for a freaking deer; whether it's not buying a license, or shooting them off the road at night. Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of, in addition to keeping a fish that's a 1/2" too short of the minimum length (rolleyes). There haven't been any added restrictions on just camping during the season has there? We're all ethical outdoorsman and the ones that don't have tags KNOW they can't take big game rifles to CO with them; much less hunt big game there at all. So far there's going to be 8 of us and only 3 tags. The other 5 just want to go to camp, cook, take photos, and just enjoy being with family and in the outdoors. To be honest, 4 of those 5 aren't even big hunters to begin with. The way we have it planned is that 3 who don't have tags will hunt with each of us that do have tags; to take photos, help with a kill, and just provide any other assistance. They will not be allowed to carry a rifle while we are hunting. Only after we've taken our mule deer will any of them try to do any small game hunting. The only one's carrying rifles will be the three of us that have tags. The others can bring small game rifles and hunt small came when we've harvest our deer. That's the general plan anyway. I have a CHL permit; the last thing I want to do is get busted for something stupid and lose it.... :>/
Wasn't trying to say you would do that, just a warning.

Good luck!

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:08 pm

bh107 wrote:
TexasHunter83 wrote:

Wasn't trying to say you would do that, just a warning.

Good luck!
Thanks for the warning. I didn't take any offense to it. :thumb

huntingal
Spike
Spike

Post by huntingal » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:36 pm

The seasons for most furbearers is Nov 1. Bobcats are Dec 1. About the only small game you will find in Dissapointment (to hunt) are rabbits, coyotes, grey fox, badger and squirrel.

Mirramonte and Groundhog Res. are not too far away-might be worth it to throw in the the fishing rods.