curious

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Anonymous

curious

Post by Anonymous » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:36 pm

never hunted muleys and need advice. I am going to Idaho for elk this fall. Do muleys run the same terrain as elk? If not, what type do they hang in? Also, what approach do i take in order to bag a muley in mid october. Do I glass like elk or are they in rut and I have a better chance at calling. I don't expect everyone to answer every question that just crossed my mind, but any advice will help.

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:34 pm

well i am a mule deer hunter an a elk deer hunter and first off ur typical mule deer is in lower elevation than elk i mean a few times u will see them runnin together but elk are in the high back country while mule deer can be seen in the lower parts of the mtn, second off u will have good success glassing for them both thats what its all about is keeping your eyes open those mulies can blend into any oak brush or sage or trees any cover they can find they will just lay down in there an become almost invisible so you need to keep a sharp eye on the kind of stuff and third off i doubt callin would be a very good solution because the rut usaully comes in about november and most of the trophies are in hiding and wont come out until they are pushed out or until the hunt is over, you should be prepared for plenty of hiking and bring a good pair of binoculars with you because you will need them

FeRangerXXXV
Fawn
Fawn

Post by FeRangerXXXV » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:51 pm

I hunt both Mule Deer and Elk. They are different, but sometimes luck puts them together. I agree with danthe32specialman, and would add that mule deer eat browse so they can be anywhere and they like sage. Elk are grazers like cattle. Green grass is their favorite. Both Elk and Muleys also need water. Muley's come into water much slower and with greater caution than Elk do. They also will go much longer and farther without water then Elk. If you can find mule deer scouting before season your life will be much easier. If you looking for a rack and 1/2 then you will need to find a hidey hole.

Good luck,