If you could draw one place in colorado, where would it be??

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
muleywannabe
2 point
2 point

If you could draw one place in colorado, where would it be??

Post by muleywannabe » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:15 pm

I am getting geared up for next year with putting in for tags and so on. What area produces the best big bucks and what unit is it? I dont care how long it takes, I want to draw for a good one. thanks

norcalhunter
Spike
Spike

Re: If you could draw one place in colorado, where would it be??

Post by norcalhunter » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:23 pm

There are some really good units in Colorado but it takes anywhere from 8-13 points to draw. Since Colorado only goes by preference points start building points now and see what units are hot in 5-10 years. Some good units got hit hard by the winter of 2007/2008 so top units are constantly changing.

muleywannabe
2 point
2 point

Post by muleywannabe » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:16 pm

very good point and I appreciate the recommendations. Thanks

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:22 pm

Eagle county was the top producer of Booners, but now Mesa county has pulled ahead for record book bucks. Unit 40 is worth looking at. If you have enough points go for a 4th seaon hunt. It hits the begining of the rut and that's when the monsters come out.
Mark

ICMDEER
Spike
Spike

Post by ICMDEER » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:31 am

That is one of those "it depends" questions. The answer depends upon lots of factors. You can kill big deer in lots of places in Colorado. It depends upon your standards, (170, 180, 190, or 200+), what kind of country you like to hunt (plains, P-J, high country), how long you are willing to wait, and what type of weapon you want to use to hunt with. Another consideration is whether you have the cash to pay for a landowner voucher or if you are going to wait to get a license through the drawing. And your phyiscal condition will determine if you can hunt many of the places since not everyone is ready to hike long distances at high elevation in rough country.

If you have not been to several places in Colorado, go there and check them out. Talk with lots of people, look at odds on the website.

For me, I prefer high country or brush country. I'd go with some areas around Meeker and Gunnison if given a choice. And I'd hunt with a bow there rather than hunt other areas with rifle or muzzleloader.

There are lots of good choices. Good hunting.

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:01 pm

If draw any unit it would be 741; before you all spout off, I know of a honey hole that is public land, but you must travel on foot or horse/mule. Hunting presure is very little to none, It has a great gene pool and produces some Big Boys.

Best of luck

muleywannabe
2 point
2 point

Post by muleywannabe » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:56 am

you guys are awesome. Thanks for the advice. I just thought I would start to research now and start putting in for them. I love my kansas whitetails but those muleys seem to get my blood boiling. Probably because I have shot some giant whitetails. My biggest muley is around 170". would like to tap that 185" mark

Bear2
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Bear2 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:09 pm

do any of the best muley areas or units also give a decent chance at a bull elk?

Coloradobuck
Monster
Monster

Post by Coloradobuck » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:51 pm

muledeer buck 44
“Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway”-john wayne