Calling in Mule deer in the rut

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Tracker J
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Tracker J » Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:22 pm

haha wow, not a good situation. I just watched this video, on hunting bc rockies and area in the states and they used the distress call alot and a commmon doe call and just variations on it. Great results stopping bucks and gettin time for shots and such, calling them right in sometimes too. Yea i never thought about another predator coming in, Gotta keep a weary eye and be ready for anything i quess.
"Hunting is not something you read in books or watch on tv, hunting is a feeling, an art, and a time honored tradition"

longbow264
Fawn
Fawn

I love hunting BC

Post by longbow264 » Wed May 12, 2004 9:05 am

Hey BC boy and muleymaster, Should i break the news about how we can hunt right to the mid December in region 3. I'm sure glad they think are deer are tiny, my father shot a nice four point last fall and it was on the down hill slide probably 9 or 10 years old, it still scored 169 points and it weighed just a mere 308 pounds field dressed. I know my brothers to the south that it is just a tiny specimen compared to the ones that run the hill in colorado or utah maybe montana, these are all places that I have dreamed of going to and pursuing my trophy of a lifetime!!! In the rut as far as calls go I would try the eastman deer talk, the one that worked for me last year and they were in the peak of the rut was Quaker boys doe in heat bleat the can one. In the central interior we had yet another mild winter and I have already seen buck with a foot a bone sticking out of their head. Lots of deer again this year!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Wed May 12, 2004 6:21 pm

haha, yea longbow we sure got a great hunting season here, september opener all the way to december tenth, get to hunt both ends and all the way through the rut. That eastmans "deer talk" call, i think its called the deer stopper too, is the call i got along with a grunt and a "k'meer deer" call. I was thinking about gettin the video about deer talk by eastmans, (done with the use of that call) and on how to use the call and what not, just to learn more about deer, and get good at using the call.

Tracker J
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Tracker J » Wed May 12, 2004 6:29 pm

Last post was me, forgot to log in there. Just so you didnt think it was some random. Yea, i was just out 2 days ago, for just an hour and a half bear hunt, saw over 14 deer, didnt get a chance to make any of em for bucks cus the master cylinder went on our clutch and we had no working clutch, so basically start the truck in first and the started got us moving the grind the gears lol, so we didnt bother slowing down for nothing lol. But looks like should be a good year for deer, despite the ravaging burns we faced last year, i was finding deer feeding on the new growth in burn areas and deer werent fat, but still looked in good health.
"Hunting is not something you read in books or watch on tv, hunting is a feeling, an art, and a time honored tradition"

longbow264
Fawn
Fawn

Post by longbow264 » Wed May 12, 2004 9:13 pm

That was one thing I wanted to mention to you TRACKER, Do you guys think they are going to shut the north thompson down this year? That was one burn of a fire!! I really felt for all of the people that is affected and to all that fought it. I'm guessing you were up in around say the Jameison creek area?I spent a few years in Logan Lake so I kind of know alittle of the area. I still try to get down there every year for a little more deer action. I like the Indian gardens and Barnes Lake produced for me also in behind Red Lake. Back to the call, the Eastman deer stopper works great for getting bedded deer up and moving, the video is well worth it!! I watch it a couple times every summer berore the 1st of september. :P

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu May 13, 2004 7:00 am

This is a great topic 'cause in all my years of hunting, I have NEVER heard of calling mulies! Of course, I was well aware of the different ways to call whitetails but I guess my feable mind didn't bother to think that because it works with one species it MAY work with others.
In the past, I have used nothing more than a loud whistle to stop a nervous buck and have even screamed once to stop one (I used the "scream" to nearly stop my heart once too.....of course the rattlesnake that struck the top of my boot had a lot to do with that too!! I'm sure I peaked the curiousity of every buck within a 10 miles radius that day.). Anyway, you all have given me some new tricks to try this coming season.

longbow264
Fawn
Fawn

Post by longbow264 » Thu May 13, 2004 7:59 am

Acghawk, I would really consider the eastman deer stopper, it has the common doe sound on one end and a total fawn in distress on the other. I used the common end first to stop a buck if he shows no sign then the other end goes in my mouth and I use a half distress call that usually does it. Get the video How to talk to deer by Gordon Eastman if your going to use that call it is well worth it. Like I stated earlier, It was the last day in my region that I hunt, Nov 30 to be exact. We seen a buck with two doe's the day before and we figured he would go 190 gross typical. The next morning Just as shooting light was breaking I seen a big buck with 2 girlfriends heading out the back of the opening where we saw the big one the previous day. The does where spooked and where in a trot the buck following close. He was four hundred on moving fast, I pulled the Quaker boys can, "doe in heat" I was using for whitetail earlier. 1 tip of the can and that muley put the brakes on and turned and came striding back. Let him come back to 225 yards and sent a swift A-frame on it's way. Wasn't the 190 buck, but was still a 168 gross for the last day.

mule man
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mule man » Thu May 13, 2004 9:06 am

ya me and tracker have the eastman deer stopper and it is quite unique its kinda good that burn went through the area though eh lots of nice ruffage appearing in the hills where we have been out lookign around and its gona make for a good season this year we've seen alot of deer in the last 3 days so you know its gona be a good year

longbow264
Fawn
Fawn

Post by longbow264 » Thu May 13, 2004 1:07 pm

mule man, I can't help but wonder if the game branch will do the same as they did with Greenstone mtn. Either shut down totally or no vehicle and bow only??? I also agree that we need to see more prescribed fires on are deer ranges!

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu May 13, 2004 3:15 pm

Yea i dont think that they'll shut it down but it wouldnt surprise me if it did happen for the fact that the governement is a piece but hopfully not theres alot of nice deer roaming around so we'll see