Full moon....dang it

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
firefighterbraun
3 point
3 point

Full moon....dang it

Post by firefighterbraun » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:22 pm

So I have been looking at the calender and looked up the moon cycle. Its going to be a 99.8% full moon on opening day with the moon coming up at like 9:00pm and not setting till like 4:30am. And then the weather forecast is calling for clear weather. Anyone else bummed out about this? Seems the deer in my area are always out all night feeding and are rarely out and about in the mornings. :>/

Nvbuck
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Full moon....dang it

Post by Nvbuck » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:19 pm

Firefighter
Is that info for the rifle hunt? please tell me ni

firefighterbraun
3 point
3 point

Post by firefighterbraun » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:57 pm

Nvbuck wrote:Firefighter
Is that info for the rifle hunt? please tell me ni
Sadly yes it is for the Utah rifle hunt.....Here is the website with the detailed info. And the moon times were off a little sorry. Real time is moonrise at 6:40 pm and not setting till 8:33 am.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/a ... =-11&day=1

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Post by m gardner » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:23 pm

They more likely than not will be laid up before daybreak, but as the sun gets higher they will get up and move to shade so they are not highlighted and exposed. They also will seek a cooler spot too. Don't be discouraged just hunt a little differently.
Good luck.
Mark

stillhunterman
2 point
2 point

Post by stillhunterman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:54 pm

m gardner wrote:They more likely than not will be laid up before daybreak, but as the sun gets higher they will get up and move to shade so they are not highlighted and exposed. They also will seek a cooler spot too. Don't be discouraged just hunt a little differently.
Good luck.
Mark
+1

I have even seen them so secure with the night moon, that they feed just a bit later not realizing dawn is coming. Like the man said, just hunt a bit differently and add some more patience to the pot. :thumb

firefighterbraun
3 point
3 point

Post by firefighterbraun » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm not too worried but just kinda bent.....this year's archery hunt was the same way. I just hate the fact that it screws up their schedule. Cause you sit and watch them for weeks and then opening day comes and they go against everything that you have been watching them do before the moon came out. But that's why I have 5 days off of work and going to be on the mountain all day! :thumb

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Post by PhillyB » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:34 pm

How did you get a rifle deer tag and an archery tag?

I remembered you got yourself a nice buck during archery season and now you got a shot at the rifle season?

I am not calling you out, I just want to make sure I am not missing something, like another opportunity to hunt.
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing

firefighterbraun
3 point
3 point

Post by firefighterbraun » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:39 pm

PhillyB wrote:How did you get a rifle deer tag and an archery tag?

I remembered you got yourself a nice buck during archery season and now you got a shot at the rifle season?

I am not calling you out, I just want to make sure I am not missing something, like another opportunity to hunt.

I thought that if you were successful on the bow hunt you can go out for the rifle too.....Just messing! My wife has a rifle tag......so she's the one hunting.....I'm just doing the scouting and hopefully the gutting (since she's not too fond of that part!) lol She shot a 17" 2x3 last year and is wanting to shoot one bigger than that. So hoping to find one like I got this year!

PhillyB
3 point
3 point

Post by PhillyB » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:22 pm

firefighterbraun wrote:
PhillyB wrote:How did you get a rifle deer tag and an archery tag?

I thought that if you were successful on the bow hunt you can go out for the rifle too.....Just messing! My wife has a rifle tag......so she's the one hunting.....I'm just doing the scouting and hopefully the gutting (since she's not too fond of that part!) lol She shot a 17" 2x3 last year and is wanting to shoot one bigger than that. So hoping to find one like I got this year!
OK I Gotcha... I thought maybe you had a earth shattering secret to share. :)

Anyways, good luck to you and the lady.
The right thing to do and the hard thing to do are usually the same thing

Bowtech43
3 point
3 point

Post by Bowtech43 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:52 am

The opener of the archery was a full moon too and I actually found a nice 4x4 feeding around 9:30 a.m. You never know what you'll find. The more I know, the more I realize I don't know much.

Brandon
Nothing like the great outdoors! :)