Wish Me Luck!

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
Komelika
Fawn
Fawn

Wish Me Luck!

Post by Komelika » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:21 pm

If you didn't see, I introduced myself in roll call. I'm heading down to New Mexico Unit 21 next Thursday for my first deer hunt. Hoping to bag a nice Muley Buck! I can use all the help I can get. I plan on hunting hard and long from sun up to sun down. Correct me if I am wrong, but they shouldn't be in rut just yet, right? I've read everything from early Nov all the way up to late January for New Mexico mule deer. So, frankly, I have no freakin' idea when the rut is. We'll have a new moon the night before the first day of the hunt. I know it's debatable about the effects of a new moon, but who knows... maybe it works in my favor.

So anyway, I'd sure appreciate any insight from the experienced hunters here. Regardless of the results, I know I will enjoy every minute of the experience, but I'd love to post some pictures of a successful hunt in a couple weeks. Thanks in advance!

DeerTracker
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Wish Me Luck!

Post by DeerTracker » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:04 pm

First off good luck and welcome! Im new here too! Just found this sight last night. I cant tell ya when the rut starts down there but up here in MT the rut usually is in full swing about the 3rd week in November from what I have experienced. Once again, good luck and be sure to let us all know how it goes!
Keep the wind in your face, hunt hard, shoot straight, kill clean.

ridgetop
Monster
Monster

Post by ridgetop » Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:07 am

Good luck!
There's always next year

Komelika
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Komelika » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:55 pm

Any pre-rut tips? Should they be in bachelor groups or would they have split up by now?

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:35 am

Good luck, don't know your area. Bachelor groups are pretty split up in my area. Southern Utah.

Rut has not started yet.

Komelika
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Komelika » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:52 pm

Thanks MM. Appreciate the input.