Crowded area/unit? Whitetails? Crawford Mountains?

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
JimmyB
Spike
Spike

Crowded area/unit? Whitetails? Crawford Mountains?

Post by JimmyB » Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:18 am

Can anyone tell me how crowded Monte Cristo area gets? I've only hunted elk in that area and it's been at least 10 years since I've gone there. And I asked this a few months back but can anyone give me info on the Crawford Mountains? I know the past few years it's been limted entry only and this year it's part of my unit and some people have told there's no deer there till later in the year when there's lots of snow and others have told me thats the place to go. And I've heard of people spotting Whitetails around Monte Cristo and Logan Canyon, are they ok to shoot or no?
Shooter McGavin

straight6
Fawn
Fawn

Re: Crowded area/unit? Whitetails? Crawford Mountains?

Post by straight6 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:05 am

The Crawfords have been limited for many years, but don't let that fool you, it is not a premium hunt area. The limited muzzleloader hunt takes place in December when the deer push in from Wyoming with the snow. There are very few deer there before this time. I would never consider the Crawfords the place to go for the general deer hunts, the limited hunt can be ok on the right years. Monte Cristo sees a TON of pressure, it is one of the most crowded areas in the northern region, lots of roads and road hunters. If you get off the roads and hike a bit you can actually have a pretty decent hunt, just don't get discouraged by all the traffic. There are a few real nice bucks around up there, just have to get away from the 4 wheelers.