Fly Fishing On My Muley Hunt

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Fly Fishing On My Muley Hunt

Post by TexasHunter83 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:40 am

I realize this isn't a fly fishing forum, but I thought I'd post his anyway. I may be putting my cart before the horse, but I want to be prepared. In the event I get drawn for my mule deer tag this year (which I'm due based on my points), I thought about trying a little fly fishing should I happen to harvest a deer early in the week. We'll be camping on a creek (which will likely be dry) but we'll be pretty close to the Dolores River in the northern part of 711. On CDOW they've claimed you can catch fish in the beginning of November so I thought it might be cool to try if I get the chance. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT FLY FISHING. I've fished the Texas coast my entire life, but have never gotten ahold of a fly rod. I've ALWAYS wanted to try fly fishing. There's just something cool about catching a trout in a stream and cooking 'em up for lunch or supper while you're camping. Anyway, does anyone have any info about the area? Can you catch trout in the beginning of November? Can I do it for pretty cheap? I'm not really into buying any gear since I'll likely not get a chance to do it again for a while. Any suggestions on renting or borrowing gear? Any help would be great. Of course, the season my not go how I plan it and I may be spending all 9 days trying to kill a buck. I just want to be ready in case I get the opportunity. Thanks!

JBird
Monster
Monster

Re: Fly Fishing On My Muley Hunt

Post by JBird » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:30 pm

Early November is one of my favorite times to fish. The big browns are out spawning or getting ready to spawn and the others are still fedding. I don't know much about the area you'll be in but I'm sure you could probably find some where close to rent the gear.

Scott702
2 point
2 point

Post by Scott702 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Aside from renting the gear for a long time I used a basic bottom of the line set up that wouldn't cost a whole lot if it came down to buying gear. Fly Fishing is awesome though! I can't wait to get out and catch some fish on some dry flies.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:44 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm glad to see that November is a good time. I'm going to have to do my research because I know nothing about fly fishing. Half of what Scott702 said went straight over my head. lol. Thanks again fellas, and if anyone else knows anything about the area I'd greatly appreciate some pointers.

Scott702
2 point
2 point

Post by Scott702 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:01 pm

Haha which part? The part about the dry fly or when iwas talking about the bottom of the line set up? ha With bottom of the line I just meant like a starter/cheap rod and reel.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:09 pm

Scott702 wrote:Haha which part? The part about the dry fly or when iwas talking about the bottom of the line set up? ha With bottom of the line I just meant like a starter/cheap rod and reel.
lol Well at first I was confused about both. I thought you meant "bottom line" setup, as in some sort of knot or something. People down here can fish "on the bottom," but only because there's no water movement most places. But as far as the "dry fly," I have no idea what that is. I know it's a "lure," but it's a completely different concept down here on the coast.

Scott702
2 point
2 point

Post by Scott702 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:55 pm

Yeah I kinda worded it weird. Haha oh well! And dry flies float on the top of the water imitating either an adult bug that got blown into the water or got stuck there somehow, or an adult that just finished the growth cycle and rose to the surface ready to take flight. They are my favorite cause you can see the trout come up an take your fly! Versus wet flies which are fished under the water and you either tell a hit by the feel or a float of some sort.

kchesley
Spike
Spike

Post by kchesley » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:37 pm

Yeah, good luck to ya. I will admit I too knew nothing about fly fishing and went out and bought the cheapest rod n reel I could find and tried casting onto a paper plate in my yard til I got the hang of it and quit snapping hooks off. Went to a few rivers and with a lot of practice I now know what to use and when and enjoy the heck out of it.

Scott702
2 point
2 point

Post by Scott702 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:14 am

I would recommend getting a reel that has drag, and a 5 wt rod. Should be a good set up. You could look on Cabela's website to get an idea of some different rod/reel combos. You don't need a drag, but it is really nice to have.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Post by TexasHunter83 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:45 am

Thanks again for the replies fellas. I'm picking up what you're all putting down. Scott, I get what you're saying now; and thanks for the equipment suggestion. I'll check it out! As far as what you were talking about with flies, we do the same down here but have different terminology. If we fish on top of the water we use "top-waters." Then we have suspension baits that will stay several feet below the surface. Then you have regular lures that will sink based on the "lead-head" you use and how fast you reel. These are all, of course, completely different lures than the flies you're talking about. Bottom fishing is just the traditional weight and hook with usually some sort of "real" bait; dead or alive. Kchesley, thanks for the encouragement.