Snow??? HELP!

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
mattman
Fawn
Fawn

Snow??? HELP!

Post by mattman » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:05 pm

Ok ya'll i need some advice. I live in southern Idaho, have been here for all 23 years of my life. Rifle season here starts early october. Typically the weather is 30-40 at night and 60-80 during the day for this time of year. Its been abnormally cold the last few days and I woke up this morning to snow. Looking out my window right now it is still snowing. I had every intent on hunting tomorrow, and thats not changing. My issue is i've never hunted muley's in the snow. So this is where i need help. How does thier behavior change with snow and cold weather? Can i expect a different feeding pattern? Will they be more active or tend to bed down because of the storm? Any help is appreciated. Now where did I put my snow boots? :-k
Keep hiking until you dont see sign of human life, then hike some more. That my friend, is where the monster lives.

m gardner
Monster
Monster

Re: Snow??? HELP!

Post by m gardner » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:14 am

It depends on what type of terrain you're in. They should seek shelter until it stops, probably pines of some sort. If it's out in the open they'll be in the coulees or canyons. They'll be out of the wind too. I wouldn't wear myself out hunting until it stops. Then I'd do lots of glassing because they're pretty easy to see. You'll also see the tracks they make in the snow. If it's not open enough to glass find tracks and follow them. If it turns colder than normal they like to lay in the sun afterwards. I shot one 2 years ago in the snow and I remember they slide nice in it and stay clean too.
Good luck.
Mark

mattman
Fawn
Fawn

Post by mattman » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:02 pm

Snow stopped today but it was windy and cold. I hunted desert terrain. Spent a lot of time glassing along the bases of cliffs and around hills. Saw a couple spikes and few does bedded but nothing worth shooting.
Keep hiking until you dont see sign of human life, then hike some more. That my friend, is where the monster lives.

Avs man
Spike
Spike

Post by Avs man » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:18 pm

My advice is this, your not used to seeing snow this early and so are the deer they will probably be in a little shock really not know what to do especially with the extremely cold temps for this time of year, I know when the deer here in CO have a drastic change in weather they are not used to, such as the extreme cold or heat like last Nov. they tend to stay bedded down and really dont do much untill the weather gets back to normal, or untill they get used to it. I would just glass my butt off untill the weather gets back to normal or untill the deer start to get back in to a schedule then adjust my hunting techniques accordingly. GOOD LUCK
I spend Half my money on Huntin, The rest I just waste!