Newbie antelope hunter headed to Wyoming in 3 weeks

Talk anything related to Antelope
cad
Fawn
Fawn

Newbie antelope hunter headed to Wyoming in 3 weeks

Post by cad » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:13 am

Hey guys,

My first post here. I drew a tag for Wyoming unit 47 this year, and have my flight booked and am currently trying to prepare everything. I've been pm'ing Greatwhitehunter back and forth and he's been a great help. I have maps of my hunt area, permission slips to a few ranches, and almost all my gear ready.

I reckon I'll just drive into the area and camp out, or stay at a local hotel. I don't want to pin myself down in a specific hotel if i find the antelope are on the other side of the unit. Well, looking forward to getting out there and get my feet wet. This will be my first "western" hunt.

Larry
2 point
2 point

Re: Newbie antelope hunter headed to Wyoming in 3 weeks

Post by Larry » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:29 am

Best advise I can get ya now is to not shoot the 1st buck you see. You mite want to bring a shot gun along if sage grouse is open while your here. have fun and be safe. Hope to see some pic's from your hunt.
I know my spellings bad!

StickFlicker
3 point
3 point

Post by StickFlicker » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:22 pm

You will be amazed at how many antelope you will see in Wyoming. My first hunt was in Unit 48 next door. As soon as we drove across the state line into Wyoming, there were antelope standing everywhere! I've hunted the state three or four times, and I can tell you it's very hard to find a buck much over 12 1/2 to 13 inches in all the units I've hunted, but there are lots of smaller bucks to play with. Don't panic when the shooting starts and the antelope start getting scarce. If you've got a number of days to hunt, once the locals leave after the first couple of days, the antelope will start appearing again. Be patient and you'll at least get a nice representative trophy to take home. Good luck!

Marvin
Official Pope & Young, Boone & Crockett & Longhunter Society Measurer,
Records Chairman, Bowhunting In Arizona Record Book

tommycaller
Spike
Spike

Post by tommycaller » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:23 pm

I just hunted in New Mexico and can tell you that the antelope did not tolerate the truck. Even from over a mile away they would start running as soon as the truck crested the horizon. If you get out of the truck before you crest a hill, the antelope will stare at you and in most cases you can "flag" them in with your hat. They are very curious. I also use one of the silouette decoys which will sometimes get you alot closer to the animals. You are going to have a BLAST!!!! ANTELOPE IS QUICKLY BECOMING MY "favorite" HUNT.
P.S. Make sure you have a good pair of binoculars with you. Even if you have to borrow a pair. Have fun and be safe!!!! TommyCaller
"A waist is a terrible thing to mind"

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:01 pm

This will probally be one one the most fun hunts you will ever experience it is a total blast.

Be patient and hunt hard you should do fine
THE LORD IS MY ROCK