6.5-284 long range hunter (gun scope combo?)

Talk anything related to Shooting, Reloading, etc.
TheGreatwhitehunter

Re: 6.5-284 long range hunter (gun scope combo?)

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:06 pm

Sometimes Berger bullets will show there true performance at longer ranges I have a friend who did not did the accuracy that he was looking for at 100 yards but at 300 they really shot well. The rep for Berger told him the bullets need to go to sleep to speak that the best accuracy will come sometimes at longer ranges.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

kallred12
Fawn
Fawn

Post by kallred12 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:02 am

maybe im off in left field but when bullets actually shoot a better minute of angle at longer ranges is this the term they refer to as yaw? Ive heard of this before but its a little over my head. Maybe i should try to work my loads up at 200 yards or would even 300 be better? Also my gun has the accustock and i have read a few places where people complain that once they take it apart and put it back together there gun will have flyers. alot of my groups will have 3 or 4 bullets in a 1/2 to 3/4 inch group and then I get a flyer that opens it up to an inch or more. I have had this same flyer issue with 142 gn sierra match kings, 120 gn ttsx and the 140 gn accubonds. I took the gun apart and checked torques on all screws putting it back together but still have the same problem. Any ideas?

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:04 am

I have never heard of the term Yaw used, but could be. As far as your flyers, I have found that most of the time when my guns are having this phenomenon that it is directly caused by the trigger operator. There is a possibility that your stock is putting pressure or torquing as the barrel heats up, so you might want to check your floated clearance and consider a little glass around the action even though I believe thase stocks have an aluminum block. I have a really accurate .22 that I shoot groups with when I am having trouble and this lets me know if I really have gun problems, or if I have a flinch, breathing, or trigger problem.--------------SS
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen