elk calling

Talk Anything related to Elk Hunting
therookie
Spike
Spike

elk calling

Post by therookie » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:14 pm

So I'm really intrested in elk hunting and calling. I'm corious to know what's the fastest best way to learn how to be an affective caller ect any help would be great

BIG R
4 point
4 point

Re: elk calling

Post by BIG R » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:24 pm

Grab a couple Primos calls and dvd's and that would be a good start :thumb

ARCHER11
2 point
2 point

Post by ARCHER11 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:27 pm

Just grab a few calls and start practicing. Youre probably going to piss off everyone around you but thats part of the fun. Grab a few different brands and types. I use a variety of diaphram, and external reed calls, and i have one internal reed call i think it sounds kinda funny though. Then once you get the hang of it watch alot of elk whether in person or in videos and try and mimic the sounds they make. The more you know every little sound an elk makes the better you will be!
I'm a member of PETA: People who Eat Tasty Animals

Milesaway
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Milesaway » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:36 pm

I use a few different types of open reed, closed reed and diaphragm calls. Some closed reeds sound really good until they get some moisture in them on a cold day, then they start to stick and you will clear out the woods. I have two open reeds that sound great. The diaphragm takes some getting used to, but may sound the best if you can master it. Put down the Hoochie Mama and blow!

therookie
Spike
Spike

Post by therookie » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:44 pm

Milesaway wrote:I use a few different types of open reed, closed reed and diaphragm calls. Some closed reeds sound really good until they get some moisture in them on a cold day, then they start to stick and you will clear out the woods. I have two open reeds that sound great. The diaphragm takes some getting used to, but may sound the best if you can master it. Put down the Hoochie Mama and blow!
Sorry this is a big rookie question is a diaphragm th mouth pice kind?

sewing
Spike
Spike

Post by sewing » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:02 am

therookie wrote: Sorry this is a big rookie question is a diaphragm th mouth pice kind?
Yes! My buddy started with one of those Primos blue snap on bugles and called in a nice one this year. He only started using it a couple weeks before the hunt and figured it out. It came with a DVD that helped him a lot. He also got the Hoochie Mama and that worked well for him. I would go super light on the bugling and use the cow call more, but I'm NO expert.

I like the mouth reed since it leaves my hands free, but it takes more time to learn.

Good luck!

pistelme
Spike
Spike

Post by pistelme » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:04 pm

I recently took a buddy elk hunting with me and this was the first time he had been. So he had never used elk calls before. I didn't have time to teach him to use a diaphragm call, so he bought a tube call from hunter specialties, it had a push button system with a diaphragm inside. I think the name was mac daddy. It was very simple to use, and you can pick it up and get it down almost instantly. The sound quality was pretty awesome also. It also can be used as a cow call. Anyway might be a good beginner call for you.

Milesaway
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Milesaway » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:47 pm

Sorry this is a big rookie question is a diaphragm th mouth pice kind?
[/quote]

Yes, a diaphragm call is the latex one that goes in your mouth. The closed reed is a thin piece of plastic sandwiched between two flexible (bite down) pieces, and the open reed has the thin piece of plastic on top of a harder piece. The closed reeds are usually the easiest, next to a push type.... but again, the moisture from your breath on a cold day can ruin your hunt.

elkarcher7
Fawn
Fawn

Post by elkarcher7 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:10 pm

Just grab some calls you are comfortable with and watch elk hunting DVDs and videos and listen to how they call and eventually you will be a great elk caller. :thumb
HUNT HARD, LEAVE BIG

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:08 pm

carltons makes some really good diaghrams also. i always had problems with the metal in the primos hurting the roof of my mouth and the hard plastic domes actually cut my mouth a few times. The guys at my workplace hate when hunting season gets close. most are hunters and i still use that call enough to bug them. i had one bring his to work and we called back and forth for hours... lol grab some videos and just make the noise. even if your not watching the show play it in the background. and dont be afraid to experiment. i figured out how to do turkey sounds, jackrabbit distress sounds, elk bugles & growls and cow sounds. diaghrams allow for that variety plus you can change pitch length loudness with out moving at all...
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson