CO Archery/Black Powder Seasons

Talk anything related to bowhunting
L-Ray
Fawn
Fawn

CO Archery/Black Powder Seasons

Post by L-Ray » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:59 am

First let me introduce myself. I am part of a group of four hunters that have hunted elk in unit 80 since 1985. I have been lurking here for a while and decided to register and join in.

A couple of us and my son and two of his friends decided that we would like to try archery hunting next year.

Looking at the Big Bame Brochure it looks like black powder season will fall on the week we wanted to be there for archery hunting, second week of September. Then I see a note that says that black powder is limited draw for certian units only, but then there is a note about statewide black powder hunting. Very confusing.

We would perfer not to be in the woods while there are black powder hunters and I think we would also need to wear orange, if I read the regs correctly.

Can anyone answer our questions?

Thanks

L-Ray

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:10 am

L-Ray

::wel

I can't answer the question but HIKER probably could, he is a great resource. He may be out hunting right now though?

AGCHAWK
Monster
Monster

Post by AGCHAWK » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:41 am

L-RAY, Welcome to MM!

Yea, Hiker is the man to talk to. He's here fairly regularly and should "pop" up some time soon.

Meathunter13
2 point
2 point

Post by Meathunter13 » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:10 pm

Welcome to the site Lray

Let me try to explain a little about your questions.
All muzzeloader tags are by a draw basis. Usually you draw a specific unit to hunt muzzeloader in. The statewide muzzeloader tag is a tag that can be used in any unit that is not on the regulations brochure listed under the muzzeloader section. If the unit has a code for example of EM07901M then you have to draw specifically for unit 79 if you want to hunt that unit. The units that are not listed under this section you can have a statewide tag to hunt that unit. In essence the units with less elk are statewide tags as that way a MZ hunter could hunt any of those units with his tag. Where a "premium" tag for a MZ hunter would make you only hunt the unit you drew for. Unit 80 is apart of the statewide tag. 3,996 statewide tags where issued last year and about 10% of those hunters hunted in unit 80.
27 cows and 8 bulls were taken by about 350 muzzeloader hunters in that unit last year.

You definately do not need to wear hunter orange if you have an archery tag. Regardless if MZ season is in or not. If you draw a MZ tag please take note that you cannot use a bow even if you do wear orange.

With this said I personally believe that one of the better weeks for archery hunting in colorado is during the MZ season. I plan my extended trip during that time every year. The bulls are bugling and herding up cows. Its not to hard to stay away from the MZ hunters and often they will push elk and you can use them to your benefit.

Good luck again welcome and let us know if you have any other questions.

L-Ray
Fawn
Fawn

Post by L-Ray » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:22 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I posted this in the Elk Hunting section and Hiker replied there.

I was concerned that we might have too many MZ hunters in our area, but I need to look at the CDOW stats and see if they break down MZ hunters by unit. If the numbe is low enough, we may try hunting that week anyway.

One of our guys will be out of the country until Sept 6th and we need him to go with us, since he has the camper. :D

Two of us plan to come back in October for the regular rifle season, but I'll just be cooking then. The other guy will be cooking during the archery season.