DIY PACK IN HUNTS

Talk anything related to bowhunting
LIVE2HUNT
Spike
Spike

DIY PACK IN HUNTS

Post by LIVE2HUNT » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:02 pm

JUST CURIOUS TO SEE IF ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE PUTS EVERYTHING ON THEIR BACK FOR A WEEK OR SO STAY IN THE BACK COUNTRY IN PURSUIT OF ANIMALS? IF SO, ANY ADVICE ON WHAT THEY HAVE FOUND THAT WORKS, AND DOESN'T WORK. I HAVE AN EXTERNAL FRAME PACK, (ABOUT 4500 CI), SLEEPING BAG RATED TO -10, WATER FILTER, AND DEHYDRATED FOOD (ENOUGH FOR MY PLANNED STAY PLUS 3 EXTRA DAYS. THE ONLY THING I CARRY EXTRA IS CLOTHES, AND A FIRST AID KIT. OVER THE PAST THREE SEASONS I'VE KICKED MYSELF IN THE BUTT FOR NOT TAKING A CAMERA, BUT I DON'T WANT THE EXTRA WEIGHT. ANY SUGGESTIONS THERE? I CAN'T SAY ENOUGH POSITIVE THINGS FOR HUNTING THIS WAY! YOUR COMPLETLEY MOBILE, AND POSITIVELY AT THE MERCY OF YOUR WHIMS. THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE EVER RAN INTO IS MY WIFES CONCERN OVER ME DOING THIS BY MYSELF. BUT THAT IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT TOPIC. SO, ANY INPUT WITH YOUR GOOD AND BAD EXPERIENCES WOULD BE GREAT.

Dirty Tough
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Dirty Tough » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:08 pm

Best shelter I have found is a tarp tent made by Henry Shires. The 3 man weighs 2.5 pounds. I use a down sleeping bag. My hunting pack is a barney bag made in Alaska. It can hold all my stuff plus a whole deer if it is quartered. An MSR pocket rocket stove for boiling water for freeze dried food. I also line my pack with a heavy duty plastic bag to keep everything dry and then I use it at night on the outside to keep my pack dry. I do bring a camera because I don't mind an extra 0.5 pound so I can share the hunt with my buds. I really like hunting this way more then any other way. Just my 2 cents.

ABert

Post by ABert » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:44 pm

As far as a camera goes, the disposable cameras they make today take great pics. I don't think there is one with a timer yet, though, so not sure you will be able to take a pic with your animal. As far as the wife goes, just make sure someone has a plan of where and when you will be hunting and when you plan to come out. It could save your life if something were to happen. Bring three different types of fire starting materials, layered clothes, waterproof shell and highly recommend a light weight bed roll to sleep on. Not only more comfortable, but will keep you off the ground and your body heat being drained from your body as you sleep.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.