The VTR has arrived!!!!

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
killerbee

Re: The VTR has arrived!!!!

Post by killerbee » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:01 am

southwind wrote:Good lookin rig.

Mil dots work well with 308 but if you really want to dial this puppy in you need to think about some custom turrets that are made specificly for you load and rifle for both windage and elevation.

http://www.kentonindustries.com/
i've been trying to find these, i've seen them in the past, do you where i could check them out? i would like a drop compensator for my 300 weatherby. i also have my drops written down on my gun but even though it says it's 48+/- " of drop at 600 yrds [ just a random number] you cant be 100% sure yoor holding 48" high at that range. granted i practise alot with it so that should give me a lot higher % of knowing what 48" is in my scope but a compensator would make it a lot more precise :thumb

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:19 am

KB,

Go to their website I posted. It shows prices and different formats available. I like the custom turrets because it gives you the ability to have turrets for your specific loadings.

264MAG
Fawn
Fawn

Post by 264MAG » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:30 pm

Very nice Southwind!

Your right, the larger mag would look great with the tactical theme.

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:58 pm

You dont need to know what 48 inchs looks like at that range.You practice at known distances,100 yard incriments,you learn what dot is on at each range,you range the target,pick your dot and squeeze the trigger.No need to get complicated just learn your rifle and learn your scope.I just got done figuring out what dot is on at 300,3rd dot down is right on at 320,add that to my cheat sheet and Ill work on 400 next trip,its really simple if you take the time to practice.

killerbee

Post by killerbee » Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:16 pm

it's not a matter of making it more complecated, right now i have just a 4 - 12 x50mm leupold gold ring. it don't have any mill dot or any type of other aiming lines in it. so i can either send it to leupold and change the reticles [ sp?] to a mill dot or get a drop compensater built for MY gun and it's balistics. and in my opinion there is no comparison on which is the better set up, the compensator hands down! with the mill dot your still going to be guessing if the range is somewhere in the middle of your dots on how high to hold one dot so it's still just a bit of guessing on what a few inches is in your scope at that range. with a compensator dial it in .... breath.... and sqeeze. that said--- i dont care what system your useing it's still important to not just assume you can make any shot and start launching bullets from stupid ranges thinking that buying this gear makes you a sharp shooter. it's like anything else -- people think that with this stuff 800 yrds and your in range or with a bow, how people think at 100yrds you can let er' fly. that stuff drives me nuts ](*,) ](*,) you practise, practise,and practise some more when it comes down to it we still need to try and get as close as possible where it's just a chip shot!

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:59 pm

I have used mil dots a lot over the years and it is a very good system but it also depends on how you were trained on it. For Nonya I understand why he likes it and it works perfectly under most conditions in his .308 winny. For anyone who does not have a mildot recticle the tuned turrets are fantastic and dialing is is quick and easy and for me anyway could be faster than making m 10th of a mil calculation at long distances.

I believe bar far the customized turret is far more precise than mil dot because all the calculations of your load and weapon etc. has already been made.

A milliardian is an angular unit of measure. 1 mil equals one yard at 1000 yards. You must know the height of your target in yards and multiply by 1000 and divide by mil dot size of the target to get the range.

Each dot on a mil dot recticle is a 1/4 mil and from center to center of each dot is 1 mil but to be precise and truly accurate especially at long distances you need to know how to read 8 to 10 positions between each dot both for windage and elevation. So, it is not just spotting a 1/4 mil dot on something and letting it rip.

Most of us with today's rifles and cartridges we use should be able to make good accurate shots out to 300 yards without really doing anything other than having a dead solid rest. So, what we are really talking about is 400 yards and beyond. To me there are too many variables if you are absolutely proficient at reading down to a tenth of a mil in making shots especially out to 600 yards to take the chance for most people.

I personally was trained on making click adjustments stemming back to micrometer sight adjustments and I am just more comfortable with that. Plus the only thing with the tuned turrets you need is your distance and windage because the rest has already been calculated down to an 1/8 of a minute of angle.

I love the fact Nonya likes mildots and I have two mildot scopes myself but I think the majority of shooters could perform better long range shots with tuned turrets than with mildots.JMO

NONYA
Monster
Monster

Post by NONYA » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:06 am

Once again IF you have time to figure out your MOA and make the adjustent before you take the shot,I usually dont,therfore,mildots + practice = quick shots and dead bucks :thumb