Quick run down on the hunting this year

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
ABert

Quick run down on the hunting this year

Post by ABert » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:27 pm

My wife got her first deer during second season on our own land, a nice 3 pt with a dropper about 3 inches long. She asked me not to post the pic as was in her pajamas with the required orange. Yes, she shot it off the back deck.

Third season I helped my cousin, brother, niece, and a couple of friends hunt both elk and deer. Total bag was a first buck forkhorn for my niece and a three point for my brother. Didn't get on the elk until the last day of the season but no shots were taken.

Fourth season my cousin, his son and myself hunted for elk in yet another unit. Got on elk the first morning and I did drop one, though it got up when I was coming down through the trees and lost sight of it. Ended up tracking for over 2 miles, while giving it plenty of time to bed, which it never did. Lost the trail and returned that evening to the area we thought it was heading. No luck. My cousin did take a shot as a moving elk but missed.

Next morning went back to the area in hopes of find the cow I had hit to no avail. All In all spent about 15 hours looking and covered 12-15 miles I'd guess. Still feel bad about but we did try hard. Never saw any elk after that first day, plenty of deer, though.

I've an elk cow tag for private land in the unit we live in good until the end of Jan and an antelope doe tag for the month of Dec so I've still got some hunting yet to do.
It ain't the size of the gun but the placement of the bullet.

TexasHunter83
2 point
2 point

Re: Quick run down on the hunting this year

Post by TexasHunter83 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:52 am

ABert wrote:My wife got her first deer during second season on our own land, a nice 3 pt with a dropper about 3 inches long. She asked me not to post the pic as was in her pajamas with the required orange. Yes, she shot it off the back deck.

Third season I helped my cousin, brother, niece, and a couple of friends hunt both elk and deer. Total bag was a first buck forkhorn for my niece and a three point for my brother. Didn't get on the elk until the last day of the season but no shots were taken.

Fourth season my cousin, his son and myself hunted for elk in yet another unit. Got on elk the first morning and I did drop one, though it got up when I was coming down through the trees and lost sight of it. Ended up tracking for over 2 miles, while giving it plenty of time to bed, which it never did. Lost the trail and returned that evening to the area we thought it was heading. No luck. My cousin did take a shot as a moving elk but missed.

Next morning went back to the area in hopes of find the cow I had hit to no avail. All In all spent about 15 hours looking and covered 12-15 miles I'd guess. Still feel bad about but we did try hard. Never saw any elk after that first day, plenty of deer, though.

I've an elk cow tag for private land in the unit we live in good until the end of Jan and an antelope doe tag for the month of Dec so I've still got some hunting yet to do.
Haha just got around to reading this. Good post! Sorry about your luck on that elk. It always makes your stomach drop when you can't find the animal you shot. Only animal I've lost was a duck I shot last year that got away from me and we couldn't recover. I have been in some of those moments where you know you're looking in the right area and can't find the deer. You start to feel so guilty and upset and then you turn to leave and walk right into it. Congrats on your wife, brother and niece on getting their deer!