New all around gun, need advice

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
younggun
Spike
Spike

New all around gun, need advice

Post by younggun » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:42 am

Hey guys, i'm getting a new gun for sure, and i've chosen the make, model, company, and caliber, but there are a few little details that i need help with.

First off i'm gonna get a 7mm weatherby, in 7mm weatherby magnum caliber. I am getting in the ultra light model, and i'm mounting it with a Leupold 2.5 by 9 by 42 variable scope. Now the tricky stuff.

1) Should i get the barrell turned down to get rid of more weight?
2) Do i need i mussle break, i dont think i do, but asking for opinion?
3) Would purchasing and mounting a kevlar stock, instead of the synthetic make this gun lighter, stock it sits at 6 & 3/4 pounds?
4) Lighten the trigger pressure or keep it stock?
5) I wanna hand load rounds because weatherby bullets are $98 a box up here in canada, i'm asking for suggested fast burning powder
6) Any other way to make it lighter?
7) Any other suggestions in general?

Thanks a ton guys, this will hopefully help alot.
I've climbed 2 mountains. Found this guy, camped out on top of the world. I'm goin to get that ram. Thoughts of a commited sheep hunter. Work the next day, who cares, wife or girlfriend, THANK GOD! i'm hunting sheep and not at home.

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:43 am

1) No, if anything have it fluted. I would not mess with it.
2) No, 7mm weatherby mag is manageable and anyone hunting with you will hate you if you put a break on your rifle. They are terrible loud if you are anywhere close to them.
3)If you are buying a weatherby vanguard that is in a plastic stock I would personally switch to kevlar or some compsite material. But not for weight reasons, besides you probably won't save any weight by switching.
4)See what the trigger weight is first before you screw with it. I like a 3 to 4 pound trigger on my hunting rifles. If you have never worked on triggers have a good smith do it.
5)Even weatherby brass is very expensive so it won't be cheap to load either. Brass can also be tuff to find. As far as fast burning powder what do you mean? The rate of burn for most of the best 7mm weatherby mag loads are amoung the slowest burn rate made....which is what you want for this cartridge.
6) If you want a really light rifle then build or have one built from scratch. Or, buy one of the ultra light rifles already available on the market. You would sink a ton of money into the rifle trying to shave a pound.

Trying to take a stock factory rifle and turn it into a ultalite rifle IMO is not the way to go. For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction so you need to work with a smith that has a lot of experience in building these types of rifles.

I could lay out the steps to build a ultralite mountain rifle for you, but you better have a big wallet.

Of everything you mentioned I would junk the plastic injection molded stock and get a trigger job. That is where your money would be best spent.

skull krazy
3 point
3 point

Post by skull krazy » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:54 pm

Although i am HUGE Weatherby fan, their 7 is my least favorite and would be MY last choice of an "all around rifle".
The reason being the ballistics VS the cost.
Compare it to the Remington mag as far as ballistics go, they are all but identical...now go buy some cartridges...empty or full and weigh the costs.

The ONLY way i'd even consider the 7MM WBY mag would be if i were buying it in the Mark V.....definately not in a Vanguard.
If you are stuck on getting the Vanguard, your better off with the Rem mag, but if you want a Mark V....go with the .300 and never look back.

Now if you are stuck on getting a hot 7MM, go with the 7MM ultra mag, no 7 out there can touch it's performance. :thumb
SKULL KRAZY
"No Bones About It"

onehorse
Fawn
Fawn

Post by onehorse » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:24 pm

I agree with South Wind, and add my two cents worth: Weatherby was an innovator and really did hunters a service by pioneering the ultra high velocity calibers. They still are great rounds and rifles, but the fact is that today there are many other guns that do the job just as well as Weatherbys (no disrespect intended). The new short magnums are pretty impressive, and if you want a mild recoil and much less expensive round, the .280 Rem is an oustanding cartridge. That bullet can be handloaded to about 3,000 fps or you can purchase Light Magnum bullets that go that fast. Also, that bullet is a true 7mm (.284 inch) and gets close to 7mm Mag performance. As for a rifle, the Tikka Lite Stainless is something to look at. I bought one this year after hearing lots of good reports about it. Here's the scoop: it weighs 6 lbs. 6 oz., has a 24 1/2 inch barrel and an adjustable trigger - I'd guess about a 3 lb. pull from the factory, is guaranteed to shoot a 3 shot group under an inch @ 100 yards (and it does every time), it comes with scope rings and has a built in mounting rail like the Ruger, and you don't have to take a second mortgage on your house to buy one. I killed a buck antelope and 4x4 whitetail with mine in .270WSM this year and it worked great. Give it a look and see what you think.