wyoming upping the ante

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
9er
Monster
Monster

wyoming upping the ante

Post by 9er » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:24 pm

is anyone NOT gonna apply that has in the past because of the price increase they have this year?

as for me, i was for sure gonna do a general elk hunt, but no im leaning towards just drawing a controlled hunt!!!

9er
Watch your top knot!

Hiker

Post by Hiker » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:45 am

I was thinking of applying for some points for my daughter and wife. I still haven't decided on general or controlled hunt for wapiti. I drew a general this year so I guess I'm way out of the race for those good units.
Hiker

Proverbs 3:5-6

IDHunter
2 point
2 point

Post by IDHunter » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:28 pm

I think the biggest change you'll see at this point is people that used to apply for the special tag will now apply for the regular. I don't think anyone will drop out yet, but I also don't think very many new people will enter the game.

Most of us are willing to pay, but at what point do our kids say it's not worth it? I'm truthfully worried about the future of our sport. Each state is playing Russian roulette and inching closer and closer to the line where people will put down their weapons and pick up their fly rod instead. Obviously there will always be the few who are willing to drop tens of thousands of dollars on one special tag, but in the end, the number of anti-hunters is increasing while the number of hunters is decreasing (relative to the Country's population). The last I checked, we all still have one vote, so we shouldn't be surprised when we're outnumbered 30 to 1 when it really matters.

I see the future as a set of dominoes that are all lined up and all we need to do is knock the first one down and watch the rest collapse with it. I just hope they're not already falling.
Last edited by IDHunter on Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

southwind
Monster
Monster

Post by southwind » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:16 pm

Just got my book today and I have not decided yet but am leaning heavy towards not applying. I really hate not to but enough is enough already. I love the state of Wyoming but might just start going for points and hunt there only once every several years...don't know???? #-o (???) :>/

TheGreatwhitehunter

Post by TheGreatwhitehunter » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:27 am

I dropped out on the sheep points because a $100 is just stupid I decided just take it on the rest of the points for Moose, Deer, Antelope and Elk.

I have building moose points for a while so I figured If I dropped the sheep I would keep the moose points till I draw out.
THE LORD IS MY ROCK

awholelottabull
Spike
Spike

Post by awholelottabull » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:16 am

Just a suggestion.....put in for points until you have enough to draw a good tag. The points aren't costing you more and it's worth every penny if you get a tag like 57 for goat or 82 for deer. It is getting a little rediculous with every state increasing the price of hunting. I think you will that moves like this will force people to choose states. I don't apply in Arizona anymore because it got to the point where I had over $3000 dollars sitting out there in draws. Too much money.

Torch
3 point
3 point

Post by Torch » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:14 am

I will at least buy points, but I don't know if I will apply this year or not? Man, it's getting expensive!

waynedevore

Post by waynedevore » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:27 am

The trouble with points is. So many others are adding points too. If WY is like MT there are so many more to be drawn from because of all the points people are adding up. It's sort of like buying raffle tickets, if you buy 10, but everybody else buys 10 your odds are the same if all just bought 1.

I think this point thing is a windfall profit for game and fish departments.

But on the other hand, if you don't buy points you are left behind in the dust.

9er
Monster
Monster

Post by 9er » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:53 pm

do you guys think that most will stay in the game, but just put in for the reg. hunts and not the special?

Ive been working on my wife, and i think ive got her approval for trying a Limited Quota Special tag! Now, which one? 57? 31? 19? 100? oh the dilemas

9er
Watch your top knot!

Wyosheds
Fawn
Fawn

Post by Wyosheds » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:01 am

Hey guys here is a little background on the price increase.

Wyoming has not had a price increase for 4 years.

The 20% increase across the board for NR and Residents was determined by the cost of inflation in Wyoming during that 4 year period.

All money generated by tag and point sales goes directly to the Game and Fish and the managment of wildlife in our state.

Currently 60% of the G&F Revenue comes from NR Fishing and Hunting licenses, points, stamps, etc. The percentage that comes just from Big game tags and points is probably closer to 30-40%.

I personally am 100% for the increase. The cost of wildlife managment in our state has continued to rise while tag sales are decreasing due to drought, wolves, etc. One thing to remember is the Wyoming Game and Fish is not getting rich off of this increase, this money goes directly back to the wildlife. This increase is not out of line compared to what a majority of western states charge NR for tags, points, hunting licenses etc, at least for the General Draw prices. But in my opinion the "Special" draw is a greed draw and if you want to play more often your are going to pay the price. Also NR get 25% of the tags allocated for the areas or regions to be drawn for every species. In reality NR have a better chance of drawing a Moose, Goat or Sheep than I do., not that bad if you ask me! I know alot of people are PO'ed about the increase but as long as Wyoming's policy is to have a self maintaining Game and Fish it is up to the people that enjoy the resources to be the ones that pay. If you think about it that is the way it should be. Could you imagine if game managment was payed through the General Fund and you had politicians making the decisions on our resources, and the cutts that would take place when hard times hit the state. I don't think anybody wants that.
Welcome to Wyoming! Now take a Wolf and leave.