ID controlled hunts/OTC elk

Talk anything related to Rifle hunting
backpacker
Fawn
Fawn

ID controlled hunts/OTC elk

Post by backpacker » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:32 pm

Hey everybody. Just recently found out about this forum a couple days ago and monstermuleys last year, lots of good info on both of 'em thanks to you folks. Was just wondering if anybody out there had any experience with the controlled hunt units in ID- specifically the antelope and elk units. I drew a moose tag last year so I was debating what to put in for this year. I looked on the F&G website and there are a bunch of units where the success rates were above 50% on 6pt elk and several units with antelope averages above 12". I was wondering what units were considered the trophy units, which units are mainly public land (access), type of terrain (how physical), personal experiences and so forth. Can pm me if you want. I'm just looking at opportunities in case I don't draw anywhere else this year.
Also wondering about anybody's experiences/info in the otc elk units (rifle or archery) in case I don't draw. I'm kind of looking at units 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 for rifle and am willing to put in my time for the chance at a decent elk (280+ 6pt). I'm of the opinion as I'm sure are many of you that you can never have too much information.
Thanks!