Dogs on the winter range!

Talk anything related to Shed Hunting
waynedevore

Re: Dogs on the winter range!

Post by waynedevore » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:02 am

I don't like the idea of stressing Wintering animals with or without dogs.
And a good bird dog will not chase deer NEVER!
I've had no trouble training my bird dogs, deer are not what we're after.

For The Love of It
Spike
Spike

Post by For The Love of It » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:05 am

Not that this is much of an excuse but with deer on the winter range come mountain lions and people go out and will turn out ofna track. Any one who has had hounds knows that you have days when your dogs trash on you and run deer all day. No it's not right but it does happen. I don't know if this was the case with what you saw or not but it definatly happens. I know that in Nevada department of wildlife is talking about putting a season on sheds just to take some of the pressure off the deer while they are on the winter range mainly from people running deer on four wheelers and snow machines.

primal215
3 point
3 point

Post by primal215 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:34 pm

NONYA wrote:In MT we can shoot dogs we catch chasing game and livestock,problem solved.
:thumb Montana's the best. I have a dog but I control it, if the owner cant control there animal then somebody needs to.
Control your animal or will control it :thumb

M.Bird
3 point
3 point

Post by M.Bird » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:20 pm

Not sure about other states, but in Wy; if you see a dog chasing wildlife you are allowed to shot the dog. I know people will be upset about it but they should control thier dogs

ShedObsession93
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ShedObsession93 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:33 pm

Amen guys thanks for all the input. Dont get me wrong guys i love dogs! But When they are causing Unnecessary stress to the deer then it gets a little irratating.

ARCTIC1
Fawn
Fawn

Post by ARCTIC1 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:21 pm

With all the predation out there the last thing I ever want to see is deer/elk being ran with dogs. If you are bird hunting most of the shots will scare deer to another ridge or ravine anyway. It is almost as bad when people are out running the deer trying to force a drop of antler. That is why these areas are being closed until the 15th of may. That sucks because around here in MT they will be chewed up by then. Would love to train a dog to find sheds but don't have time.