Are U gathering sheds in UT? U might be breaking the law!

Talk anything related to Shed Hunting
amp713
2 point
2 point

Are U gathering sheds in UT? U might be breaking the law!

Post by amp713 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:55 pm

Just found this on the DWR sight and figured i would share so no one gets in trouble! the link to the class wouldnt work when i tried to get to it so idk what to say about that!

Utah Wildlife News

Posted Thursday, 18 February 2010

Want to gather shed antlers in Utah?
If you enjoy gathering antlers that deer, elk and moose shed in the winter, one of your favorite times of the year is almost here.

You'll need to complete the free shed antler-gathering course—and print a course completion certificate—before you gather shed antlers in Utah.

But before you head outdoors to gather antlers, you need to head to this Web page first: wildlife.utah.gov/shedantler.

At the page, you'll find a free shed antler-gathering course. You must complete the course—and print a course completion certificate—before you gather shed antlers in Utah.

"Make sure you carry your certificate with you," says Mike Fowlks, Law Enforcement Section chief for the Division of Wildlife Resources.

"By law, you must have your certificate with you while you're gathering shed antlers."

If you have young children, and you've completed the course, your children don't need to complete it. As long as you've completed the course, your certificate will cover your kids too.

You can gather antlers across Utah

Fowlks says if you complete the course, you can gather antlers across Utah. "Please remember, though, that many of the state's wildlife management areas are closed in the spring and the winter to protect wildlife," he says.

You must complete the course if you want to gather shed antlers before April 15. If you wait until April 15 or later to gather antlers, you don't need to complete the course.

Helping deer, elk and moose

The antlers of deer, elk and moose drop off their heads each winter. During the summer, the animals grow a new set of antlers.

"Gathering shed antlers is an activity that's grown in popularity across the country, including here in Utah," Fowlks says.

The challenge with shed-antler gathering is that it happens during the worst time of the year for the animals and the places the animals live in the winter.

"Two things are happening at the end of the winter," Fowlks says. "The animals are stressed, and the habitat they rely on in the winter is wet.

"Fortunately, you can have fun gathering shed antlers without stressing the animals and damaging their habitat. This online course will show you how."

For more information, call the nearest Division of Wildlife Resources office or the DWR's Salt Lake City office at (801) 538-4700.
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Re: Are U gathering sheds in UT? U might be breaking the law!

Post by NotEnufTags » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:04 pm

I think the DWR should have a more prominent like on their web site for the antler gathering permit. I've got my permit. My boy and I have been out once. We're being very mindful of not stressing the deer. Last year the new requirement for an antler gathering permit was a hot topic and it was easy to find info about it on the DWR site. This year they didn't say anthying about it in the news section until around the first of February. A little late for the guy that's not watching for it IMO. Something tells me that some people aren't going to stay off the WMA's til the april deadline. I've heard of some being ticketed for shed hunting on them already.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:10 pm

I took mine and it was 21 questions. Most are easy to figure out and if you get it wrong you get one chance to fix them all at the end... but you have to get 100 percent to get your certificate.
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:25 pm

ya this is my first year where i decided i was going to go out and dedicate time to shed hunting and i just stumbled across this! i am one who wishes there was alot more communication between the DWR and the hunters. Its hard to check their website constantly and keep up on new rules and regulations!

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:12 pm

Took my test just yesterday, had to retake a couple questions cause I went to fast. But yea it's easy and no big deal. I think it's a good idea myself.

Springville Shooter
Monster
Monster

Post by Springville Shooter » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:45 pm

It's a good idea as long as it remains free, wouldn't be suprised if it came with a $5.00 price tag next year. ------shooter
"Only accurate rifles are interesting"-----Col. Townsend Whelen

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:47 pm

I was not saying it was a bad idea i think its a good idea! I just wish i would have known about it.... i just happened to stumble across it, i would have probably been ticketed (thats if i actually found some).

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:05 pm

anyone know if anyone has actually been ticketed for not having one?
have any of you ever been asked to show your certificate?

RynoUT
Fawn
Fawn

Post by RynoUT » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:42 am

I ran into a DWR officer recently who was stopping people as they turned off the oil onto an access road into a popular shed hunting area, checking for certificates but thats the first time I've had any contact with an officer while shed hunting...