shed dog?

Talk anything related to Shed Hunting
crunch14
2 point
2 point

shed dog?

Post by crunch14 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:04 am

ok so how do ya train a shed dog?
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

heshen
2 point
2 point

Re: shed dog?

Post by heshen » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:02 pm

There are many different methods to training a dog to find sheds, but the biggest thing is just selecting a "good" dog for the job. Some dogs have the "drive" for it and some do not.

Myself and "Fatrooster" (another member on the site) have each trained a dog to find sheds. I know that we used similar methods, but there is not one way to do it. I started my dog out at 8-Weeks old. I implemented training similar to that of "drug-dogs" With this training the dog is rewarded with food when it smells the correct smell. I would hide pieces of antler under boxes and when she picked the correct box she would be rewared with food. In the end she now knows commands to begin searching. i simply hold my hand out with my fingers extended and spread apart and say "Find an antler" This is a cue to her to begin searching.

It just takes repetition and patience. I will be having pups in the next year and will start them all out as antler finding labradors. If you are interested in getting one pm me. I would also be willing to train a dog for you if you were interested. I find more joy in watching the dog find an antler than I do finding them myself.. It really is a great investment in my opinion.

You can find more on the subject at antlerdog.com.. In a few months i will have a site up about it too.. antlerlabradors.com, but I have not started building it yet..

If you have any other questions feel free to ask..

crunch14
2 point
2 point

Post by crunch14 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:09 pm

Great reply, thanks. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to get a dog right now, just want to know what to do when the time comes.
Just remember they call it hunting not finding. It's all about the stories.
OIF vet 2003 SAPPERS LEAD THE WAY

SSakitas
Fawn
Fawn

Post by SSakitas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:28 am

If you are wanting to train your puppy to look for antlers you need to check this sight out www.shedsoldierakitas.com a training video will be available in May.