Where do they drop?!

Talk anything related to Shed Hunting
amp713
2 point
2 point

Re: Where do they drop?!

Post by amp713 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 pm

The Ox wrote:figure out where the deer are right now and start looking. best places seem to be foothills and on the benches this time of year.
Your from utah right ox? do you know where any benches or foothills or deer heards are around ogden??? im from NE utah and have no clue and dont know any hunters from around here really so if you had a starting point it would be great! ill even tell you were the big one s are if i find them so you can follow them this year and put one on your wall! :))
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tonoonyi
3 point
3 point

Post by Tonoonyi » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:55 am

amp713 wrote:So i have never really shed hunted. I have been out hiking just getting away from people and stumbled across a few but i want to change that. The biggest problem is i dont know where they usually drop them. Do they usually not drop them till they have moved in and settled in their winter range or do they usually start loosing them while starting to head back to the high country? Also are they usualy dropped while doing things like hopping fences, ducking through trees? Any help would be much appreciated!
When you get the answer that works great, feel free to let me know, lol

I probably find most buck sheds just out of their beds, and most bull sheds on the move along the feeding areas.
Just my two cents worth.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.

The Ox
Monster
Monster

Post by The Ox » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:02 pm

no im from so. utah but the benches and foothils are where valley floors start turning into the hills and mountains. just go out and start hiking look for deer droppings and tracks. no one is gonna give up there honey holes so dont bother askin that kinda stuff just go out and figure out where the deer live right now. eventually you will figure it out took me alot of miles of hiking in various places to start finding them. but i figured it out on my own,still dont find tons but usually find a couple everytime i go.

For The Love of It
Spike
Spike

Post by For The Love of It » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:19 am

AMP if your in snow up to your waist then you are to high to be finding sheds. If there is that much snow you need to start looking lower. In my experience most of the sheds i find are eith on the south facing slopes where the snow melt off or on the ridge tops where the snow blows off.

amp713
2 point
2 point

Post by amp713 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:16 pm

For The Love of It wrote:AMP if your in snow up to your waist then you are to high to be finding sheds. If there is that much snow you need to start looking lower. In my experience most of the sheds i find are eith on the south facing slopes where the snow melt off or on the ridge tops where the snow blows off.

i was looking for sheds lower and on the slopes where the snow had melted, i just gave up after walking up and down and sideways 20 something times and so i headed for a high point just for fun. I went again and headed towards a southwest facing slope and actually spooked some bedded deer as i came over the ridge on the other side and searched that hill side for a long time and still came out empty handed... i wonder if im in an area with no bucks?? I glassed the deer that i spooked and all were lacking antlers...
Do not follow where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

camodup
3 point
3 point

Post by camodup » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:28 pm

Im up here in Northern Utah, and the problem i seem to have is i see alot of deer, but they are all does, i go looking where the does are and theres never bucks around the areas i look. If there is a buck or to is either a spike or a two point. I need to go higher but its too hard, its either a 4 mile walk up a hill or get some land owners permission (kinda tough around here) plus most the canyon access areas are gated so we cant get too high up. Guess ill wait til spring ](*,)
thedailyhuntandfish.com

Pro Staff for Northern Utah Waterfowl
Duck Junkies Field Staff