Euro Mount - How To

Talk anything related to Mule Deer
Sponsored by: http://www.muledeermania.com
MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Euro Mount - How To

Post by MuleyMadness » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Check out the How To section of the site, just finished up the Euro Mount one...

http://www.muleymadness.com/how-to/euro ... t-3-steps/

Anyone tried this themselves?

Also the Home Brew Trail Cam one a few days ago also.

Brett

sawsman
2 point
2 point

Re: Euro Mount - How To

Post by sawsman » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:43 pm

Nice write up Brett, thanks for posting that. I've done the procedure with some slight variations.. I used sal-soda instead of baking soda. Sal-soda or "washing soda" is different than baking soda. Something to do with bi-carbonates. Chemicaly it's a little different and preffered by most taxidermists.

Also, you make a good point about the degreasing step. That is probably THE most important step of all. I actually degreased my skulls for several weeks. I used a rubbermaid tub with dish detergent (not colored) and a small aquarium heater to keep the water around 90 degrees. I changed the soap/water mixture every few days for that several week period. Grease takes time to get out of the bone completlely and the added wait is sure worth it, IMHO.

Here's a couple I have done.. The top skull had less degreasing time than the bottom one. If you look closely, you can see the difference.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing it, dosen't go away."-Philip K. Dick

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:08 pm

Nice write up Brett.

I've done trial and error on three. I think I've got better each time.

Euro%20Mount%20Dioroama.jpg
Euro%20Mount%20Dioroama.jpg (242.63 KiB) Viewed 4397 times
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

MuleyMadness
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by MuleyMadness » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:59 am

Sawsman,

Excellent tips, thanks. Was not aware of the Sal-soda, but that's a great tip. Clearly what both of you did works great because they
look really good IMO.

If anyone else has tips on this please share.

NotEnufTags
Monster
Monster

Post by NotEnufTags » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:45 pm

On the elk I ordered a kit from Tru-fitt taxidermy supply in Salt Lake city. I think it was in the $14-$19 dollar range. It came with the 40% peroxide and cal-mag for the whitening paste. The elk took some extra work as there are deeper nooks and crannies to get vein tissue out of. For a simmering pot I cut the bootom 10" off of a metal drum and put it on the camp cheif. It worked great. I echo the comments about the most important part of the process being the degreasing. You'll get a much better finished product if you don't skimp on the degreasing step.
"Some day I'll scout out a monster, spot him while hunting, make the stalk of a lifetime, and have dreams come true. 'Til then I'll be happy with the buck in my cross-hairs."

sawsman
2 point
2 point

Post by sawsman » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Another great degreasing agent is acetone. Be careful if and where you use it though, as it is highly flamable.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing it, dosen't go away."-Philip K. Dick